Maryse's Reviews > The Looking Glass Wars

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor

Sep 12, 11

bookshelves: spin-offs, abandoned
Read from January 08 to September 12, 2011 — I own a copy

If you love Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, stay away from this book.

I found this book in the sale bin, and rightly so. Alice in Wonderland is one of my all-time favorite books, and as much as I enjoy the notion of re-tellings of classics, "The Looking Glass Wars" pales in comparison. Where do I start? The bad writing? The bad character development? The poor story line? Alyss Heart, for all her introductions as a powerful, imaginative young girl, shows up as a spoiled brat with absolutely no imagination. Lewis Carroll, the brilliant mathematician who wrote Alice in Wonderland has been reduced to a stuttering reporter. As for the hero -- he's so forgettable I can't even remember his name.

Still, I gave it 2 stars instead of 1 because I thought the idea was cool. I can only drool of what a better writer might have done with it. I believe a movie version was in the works but was cancelled because of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. Ah well, not my loss
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Looking Glass Wars.

01/09/2011 "Rather disappointed with what I'm reading so far. It feels like reading really bad fan fiction. The story had potential I think, had the author taken more time in fleshing out characters and researching his story instead of just throwing as many twists to the plot. Alyss supposed had powerful imagination and yet she whines like a bored, unimaginative kid. It has its moments of glory, but overall just bad storytelling"

message 1: by Slap Happy (new)

Slap Happy I saw an Alice adaptation on the Sci Fi channel this week. Made me wonder if the people responsible for it had even read the books. It did not even feel inspired by the books. Like Carroll's books had been disassembled in a chop shop and used for spare parts for something else. Very little of the original was used anyhow and what was used had been refabricated and no longer looked the same. What's the deal with these reimaginings? I don't sense any love for the source material in them.

Maryse Yeah, that's Hollywood for you...less about the love and more about the dough :(