Kat Kennedy's Reviews > Magic Slays

Magic Slays by Ilona Andrews

Oct 01, 2011

bookshelves: kat-s-book-reviews
Read from July 12 to 14, 2011

*Before I begin my review, I must take a moment to honour the devastating goddess who made it possible for me to read this book. There are not enough words in the English language to fully capture the incadescents of this magnificent human being. She is beyond reproach, loved by all, exulted in her graciousness. I adore her with the nuclear reactions of a thousand suns. She is worth more to me than all of the precious jewels!*

/Suck up

"The series gets good at book three."

Neil Patrick Harris pretending to shoot himself

If I had a penny for every time I heard something like this about a series then... okay, I'd probably have about a dollar now.

But still, for many avid readers out there, it is the bane of their existence.

No, but really. This series gets GOOD at book three.

Unlike most people though, I didn't mind it at book one. I thought it had a lot of potential. Some people get thrown off of being tossed into an unfamiliar world with little or no hand-holding from the author. Note: Ilona Andrews will never hold your hand. You either keep up or she'll leave you behind.

For me the second book was an improvement but still only representative of a slightly better-than-average series.

Then the third book happened.

huge explosion
It really, really happened...

Ever since then, I've been in love with Kate Daniels, Ilona Andrews, and her Edge series.

Magic Slays lives up to the series fairly well.

It's intelligent, witty, well-paced, fun, easy to read and enjoyable.

The character arcs are all interesting, realistic, involving and enjoyable.

My only complaint with this series is that Andrews is obviously very uncomfortable about any intimate scenes. She has the writer's equivalent of premature ejaculation and at one point I almost wanted to stroke the book and mutter, "It's okay. Really. It is. It happens to everyone."

Andrews, like Neil and unlike most of the Urban Fantasy authors, actually seems to LIKE women. The friendship between Kate and Andrea, her ward Julie and her dealings with the other women in this book is so well treated! It's a breath of fresh air to have a female protagonist who actually gets along with other women.

Over all, if you're a fan of this series, definitely read the latest installment.

If you're not a fan of this series - please don't shoot me but...

It gets good at book three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Slays.

03/29 marked as: read

message 1: by hayden (new) - added it

hayden "She has the writer's equivalent of premature ejaculation . . ."

Wicked Incognito Now You're so right about the female relationships thing. I miss them in all the other UF series.

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) Haha I agree with Hayden, that was a great line!

Your right it does get good a book three! and boy oh boy book five! I can't wait for book six!

I'm glad to hear that her Edge series is good! I have that waiting for me when I need to read something good!

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Hayden wrote: ""She has the writer's equivalent of premature ejaculation . . ."

Had to laugh at that. I think in one book (book4) the author thanked Jeaniene Frost for some help - hmmm, I wonder?

Tasha C omg i completely agree i thought it was just me. i read the first 2 and almost stopped...but it had such really good reviews so i decided to give it one more shot. i am so glad i did because i fell in love at book 3!

Alicia I'm reading book three now. For real. I don't mean that as like, "I'm gonna read it really soon." I mean it as like, "Book three is at this very moment on my currently-reading shelf." I'm only about 19% into it, but now, I'm really excited about it! :)

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 5 stars

AH Book 3 is when the awesomeness begins. You'll be hooked.

message 8: by hayden (new) - added it

hayden It's awkward because Ilona Andrews is a husband-and-wife writing team.

Alicia I just finished book three. It was pretty awesome. I am hooked. :)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, Miss Kennedy, I adore the suck up and modestly accept your charming accolade!

Kat Kennedy W00t!

Devina Dude(hope you don't mind) your reviews are the best!lol

message 13: by Val (new) - added it

Val LMAO, funniest review ever. I read up to No.2 and gave up, I liked everything about the book but it never fully gripped me. I guess now I'll have to try no.3 if it gets THAT much better!

Lady Jaye Lol. Ilona has said herself that she is uncomfortable with writing sex scenes - well, not in those exact words, but things to that effect. I love this series.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* I agree - book three was an explosion and made me fall in love. One was really good, second just average, three is where it really takes off

Kelly H. (Maybedog) My ratings:

Book 1: 3.5 stars
Book 2: 3 stars
Book 3: 5 stars
Book 4: 5 stars

The sex moment was "finally!" and then, "Uh, what was that? That was it?"

I think we agree 100%.

message 17: by Sintori (new)

Sintori OMG this is so true. Last book, the sex scene lasted 3 sentences, all of which shared the action verb "thrust."

Deniz it so does!! it really really does! lol

Helen I love more about Curren & Kate, should I continue to read the # 5?