Alisha Marie's Reviews > Fixing Delilah

Jan 07, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, kindle-freebies, e-books-i-ve-read
Read in January, 2011

In one of Fixing Delilah's "professional" reviews, it mentioned that fans of Sarah Dessen would love this book. I'm a huge Sarah Dessen fan. She's one of the only authors that doesn't have me rolling my eyes at romance. She is the queen of the airy-summer-fling romance novel. So, I had to check out Fixing Delilah due to the comparison to Sarah Dessen (that and the fact that it was a free Kindle e-book for a while). Unfortunately, it didn't live up to "Sarah Dessen" standard.

My main issue with Fixing Delilah was Delilah. I found her very much "me, me, me" obsessed. I understand that she's a teenage girl and that they're sometimes self-involved, but the only thing Delilah focused on was herself; her pain, her issues. She seemed to think that she was the only life who's life was screwed up. Forget about the fact that her mom and aunt lost their sister (totally not a major spoiler by the way), Delilah was just focused on how sad she was because she never met her and blah, blah, blah. Not only was Delilah self-involved, but she was also very whiny and very melodramatic. Everything was an issue with her, even the mild ones. Plus, the story was told in the first person. Now, I don't have a problem with novels written in the first person, but I think the fact that I was reading every single one of Delilah's thoughts, really led me to be even more annoyed with her. I kept thinking "GET OVER IT!"

I've mentioned before that I'm not a huge romance fan. The only times that romance novels don't make me want to slam my head against the wall repeatedly are the young-adult ones (or one the suspense romance novels and even then that is hit or miss). Mostly because they seem to be less cheesy. Well not Fixing Delilah. This was cheese-galore. The romance was also very cliched. One line in particular that had me roll my eyes was when Delilah mentioned that Patrick looked at her like he was dying of thirst and she was the water. Who says that?! Do people really think in this cliched manner? The only time a line like that even remotely works is in a movie and even then you better have an amazing actor back it up so that it doesn't become cringe-worthy (I'm thinking along of the lines of Emily Blunt's line in The Jane Austen Book Club where she says that the guy looks at her like she's the dish of ice cream and he's the spoon. She got away with it due to her performance). Needless to say, there was a lot of eye rolling and "Seriously?" going on while reading this.

So, why two stars instead of the dreaded one? Mostly because I was intrigued by the whole family dynamics of the story. I was interested in what happened between the grandmother, Claire, and Rachel. That was the only thing that kept me reading (considering that Fixing Delilah moved at a snail pace). Those parts were actually done extremely well and felt true to form. In fact, I could've read a whole book about the three sisters and the mother with minimal eye-rolling.

In the end, I didn't really like Fixing Delilah. I mean, it was okay, but nothing to write home about. Certainly not up to Sarah Dessen's standards (but then again this is the author's second novel and for me Dessen's novels didn't start getting good until the third one).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fixing Delilah.

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Rachel Carnahan i AGREE WITH YOIU , this book is one of the worst books ive ever read!°