Alex's Reviews > Robinson Crusoe

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Jan 02, 15

bookshelves: 2011, reading-through-history, favorite-reviews, top-100, rth-lifetime
Read from January 04 to 08, 2011

Robinson Crusoe, a suicidal businessman with sociopathic tendencies, obsessively tries to recreate society when he's shipwrecked. He grows increasingly paranoid; by the time he finally reunites with another human, he's murderously insane.
11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Robinson Crusoe.

01/29 marked as: read

message 1: by El (new) - rated it 4 stars

El Is this your first time reading this, Alex?

message 2: by Ken (new)

Ken Loved this stupid book, but then I have the "Lone Wolf" gene....

Ruby Hollyberry Wow, not sure I ever put it together that way. I got it for Christmas when I was seven (also an uncut complete Lewis Carroll - my mom had taste). I loved it, and a dozen years later I loved Moll Flanders just as much or more. Maybe I should reread ol' Crusoe. I also want to read Daniel Deronda.

Alex El, I read a children's illustrated version when I was wicked young...so basically yeah, it's my first time.

I don't know if Defoe meant for Crusoe to seem insane, but that interpretation really isn't undermined. He certainly has moments of clarity, but there are also many instances when, for instance, he imagines himself the king of a realm, holding absolute sway over his subjects, a parrot and a goat...he says things like this in a "ha ha!" way, but it's not totally convincing. If you go in assuming that he may be an unreliable narrator - a trick Defoe would certainly be familiar with - all kinds of possibilities pop up. The 1975 film "Man Friday" picks up on this ambiguity, casting Friday as a reasonable guy kidnapped by a raving, racist prick while out on a picnic.

Sidenote: Defoe really likes raisins.

Ruby, that is pretty cool of your mom.

Coincidentally, the introduction to one version of Crusoe compares it at length to Through The Looking Glass; the idea is that both are perceived today as children's books, but neither are anything of the sort.

I have a vague plan to read this and Moll Flanders for the e-book / tree book task in the Bookish winter challenge, so just in case, Kindle notes:

PROSE (get it?)
- Dictionary: really very helpful. When it's this easy to look words up, I realize that there are many words - hogshead and ague, for example - for which I have only a dim idea of the meaning.
- It's free, so that's nice

CONS:
- There are usually no notes or introductions in free / cheap Kindle versions. I really like introductions.
- It is not a book.
- If there were illustrations - and Robinson Crusoe is a book that is better illustrated, by the way - they'd be useless, because the Kindle really can't handle illustrations of any kind.

Ruby Hollyberry I haven't reread my old copy of RC (also uncut original) for many years, but Moll Flanders is FABULOUS. The movie has zero to do with the book , btw.

Alex Never saw it, but glad to hear Moll Flanders is cool.

Just finished Robinson Crusoe minutes ago. Liked it very much; I'll have to try to pull all my thoughts together for a review.

message 7: by Meghan (new) - added it

Meghan Love Moll Flanders--book and movie! I have Robinson Crusoe on my shelf. Meant to read it but got waylaid by Moby Dick and had enough of seafaring men.

Jayme I too loved Moll Flanders more so than RC.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads Corking, isn't it? I always want to re-read it when I'm sick in bed, dunno why.