Flannery's Reviews > Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: audiobooks, kcls, read-in-2011, young-adult-teen, reviewed-2011, wishlist-for-dtbs-to-keep
Read from January 07 to 10, 2011

DJ Schwenk is a teenage girl growing up on a dairy farm in rural Wisconsin. Her family suffers from a lack of communication and the departure of her two older brothers, along with her father's hip surgery, have put even more strain on DJ. Her workload at school is overwhelming when she adds in all the work she has to do to keep the family farm running. Dairy Queen chronicles a few weeks of her summer vacation...if you can call it a vacation.

If you have to listen to professors talk about stuff like substantive due process and prescriptive easements for 3-4 hours a night, this is the type of audiobook to listen to on the way there and back. Honestly, my heart was so warmed up by the time I got there every night that I could handle it with no complaints. And the narrator had a pretty good (not perfect)Wisconsin accent. It made me miss my friends from the midwest a ton. (Especially you, Maureen-who-only-occasionally-signs-on-goodreads-and-who-I-promise-to-call-back-soon!) It also made me miss my NCCC days, where we worked hard, worked out a lot, and sweat a ton. I miss going out to do something where I could see visible results and feel good after the fact. I miss working outside and I was (dare I say it) jealous of the farm work DJ had to do.

Anyway, this book is adorable. DJ is adorable. And I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a realistic YA book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dairy Queen.

01/07/2011
25.0% "This book keeps making me smile, laugh, and tear up. Oh, and work a hard day's work. Ugh, back to studying..."
01/07/2011
25.0% "This book keeps making me smile, laugh, and tear up. Oh, and want to work a hard day's work. Ugh, back to studying" 1 comment
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Love this book. Just wish it had a better cover.

Flannery You and me both. It was such an endearing book and the cover makes it look like a joke.

oliviasbooks The paperback cover is nice.

Flannery You are so right. I didn't notice it till you mentioned it. The cow one is just plain awful:-/

message 6: by Flannery (last edited Jan 11, 2011 12:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Flannery Hahaha, when I tried to google translate that title it says "We cows." What the heck does it actually mean in German?

oliviasbooks "We cows" is just right. Cute, he?

Flannery It is appropriate for the conversation they keep having in the book about being as docile and accepting as a cow but I don't know if I'd buy a book called We Cows:-)

~Tina~ These books were so great and DJ is one of my fav's, glad you enjoyed:)

Arlene I loved this series. DJ was full of awesome and her story was so inspiring. Glad you enjoyed. :D

Janina Glad you liked it! It's one of my favourite series. And about the German title: the the German edition actually is at my library and I saw it a few times, but I always thought, heck, no, I don't want to read a book that's called 'We cows' ... I always assumed it was way too much on the farm girl side ... turned out I was wrong, but I prefer reading in English anyway.