Jodi's Reviews > Paper Towns

Paper Towns by John Green

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paper Towns.

Quotes Jodi Liked

John Green
“Did you know that for pretty much the entire history of the human species, the average life span was less than thirty years? You could count on ten years or so of real adulthood, right? There was no planning for retirement, There was no planning for a career. There was no planning. No time for plannning. No time for a future. But then the life spans started getting longer, and people started having more and more future. And now life has become the future. Every moment of your life is lived for the future--you go to high school so you can go to college so you can get a good job so you can get a nice house so you can afford to send your kids to college so they can get a good job so they can get a nice house so they can afford to send their kids to college.”

John Green
“I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is.”

John Green
“If you don't imagine, nothing ever happens at all.”

John Green
“It is easy to forget how full the world is of people, full to bursting, and each of them imaginable and consistently misimagined.”

John Green
“That's always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they're pretty. It's like picking your breakfeast cereals based on color instead of taste.”

John Green
“Isn't it also that on some fundamental level we find it difficult to understand that other people are human beings in the same way that we are? We idealize them as gods or dismiss them as animals.”

John Green
“Imagining isn't perfect. You can't get all the way inside someone else...But imagining being someone else, or the world being something else, is the only way in. It is the machine that kills fascists.”

John Green
“Nothing ever happens like you imagine it will”

John Green
“As much as life can suck, it always beats the alternative.”