Antof9's Reviews > The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists

Jan 07, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-read
Read in January, 2011

This was pretty entertaining! It was nothing like I expected, and really fun for a quick read. I've been looking for a fun book for our book club's book exchange, and this is exactly the right book for the person whose name I drew :)

From the Pirate Captain with the luxuriant and glossy beard to Charles Darwin, this book has it all -- adventures at high sea, monkeys, pretty girls, and ham! Even the footnotes in this book are entertaining. I think my friend is going to like this.

My favorite part, I think, was this:

"... It would be a lot quicker than that if we could just sail straight there, but I was looking at the nautical charts, and it's a good job I did, because it turns out there's a dirty great sea-serpent right in the middle of the ocean! It has a horrible gaping maw and one of those scaly tails that looks like it could snap a boat clean in two. So I thought it best to sail around that.'

FitzRoy frowned. 'I think they just draw those on maps to add a bit of decoration. It doesn't actually mean there's a sea-serpent there.'

The galley went rather quiet. A few of the pirate crew stared intently out of the portholes, embarrassed at their Captain's mistake. But to everyone's relief, instead of running somebody through, the Pirate Captain just narrowed his eyes thoughtfully.

'That explains a lot, he said. 'I suppose it's also why we've never glimpsed that giant compass in the corner of the Atlantic. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed.'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists.

Shaunesay Eslanai Yes, that was a great bit! :D

Antof9 I liked re-reading it too :)

(but noticed a typo)