Cathy's Reviews > Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship

Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell

Jan 09, 11

bookshelves: kindle, autobiography-memoir, non-fiction
Read from January 07 to 09, 2011

From the opening remarks Gail Caldwell begins her account with a reflective quote of the story she shares with Caroline Knapp, her treasured friend. Sharing lives together with a strong common love for their dogs and other aspects of their existence in Cambridge, Massachusetts binds the lives of solitude that these two female writers share inexplicably one to another.

I felt privileged to have a window to this honest portrait of their shared journey and Caldwell's illuminating and bittersweet remembrances, insights, and love of her friend through the trials, grief, and mourning of her losses.

One can not help but contemplate and be affected by the simple beauty of the prose and the strong emotions it brings forth. This tribute of friendship is indeed a love story...."I remember it all because I remember it all. In crisis with someone you love, the dialogue is as burnished as a scar on a tree. It shocks me now what I remember, though I suppose it shouldn't because I have Caroline's voice fixed in my heart."

A worthy read, short, but filled with life-affirming energy and love and a plethora of penetrating and inspiring words of life.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Take the Long Way Home.