Kayt's Reviews > Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Novels and Stories, Volume I

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: sherlock-holmes
Recommended for: EVERYONE
Read from July 20 to August 01, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 2

There's a reason that Sherlock Holmes is so ingrained in our culture that everyone knows who he is, whether they've read him or not. But it's only when you read the original stories that you discover why he was so popular, that people actually wore mourning clothes when author Conan Doyle stopped the series originally.

Holmes is more than the all-seeing, all-knowing brain of popular culture. He's for all purposes asexual and aromantic, preferring mental stimulation and taking on cases for how interesting they are, not for the money or the client. He has his vices--he makes mistakes occasionally, and turns to drugs when he has nothing else to mentally stimulate him. He's sarcastic and witty. He's awesome.

Watson, the ever-present chronicler of Holmes' adventures, has gotten the short stick in popular culture and the books will prove that image wrong. Watson is fit and a medical doctor, not an idiot, no less able to keep up with Holmes than the rest of us. In fact, used as he is to the detective's methods, he is undoubtedly more sensitive. Not to mention, he's Holmes' best friend and no passive bystander.

The writing, the stories? Where to start? They can be read in any order, though it's advisable to start with A Study in Scarlet (listed first in any complete Holmes book anyway) because the novella is not just an exciting murder mystery, but it shows how Watson and Holmes met and gives us our first introduction--through the eyes of a normal person--to the peculiarities of Holmes, who is a genius chemist but doesn't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun (yes, really).

In short: awesome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sherlock Holmes.

07/24/2011 page 547
52.0% ""Very sorry to knock you up, Watson," said he, "but it's the common lot this morning. Mrs. Hudson has been knocked up, she retorted to upon me, and I on you.""
show 1 hidden update…