Noel's Reviews > 84, Charing Cross Road

84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff

Jan 07, 2011

bookshelves: 1001-books-to-read, fast-easy-read, history, memoir, non-fiction
Read in December, 2010

What a gem of a book! I had no idea how good it would be, didn't know it was based on the unedited letters mailed between Helene (the author) and a small used book shop in England, from 1949 to 1969. The letters carry no commentary but illustrate the passion for books that two very different people shared, the kindness of Helene in sending care packages over the pond to people whose food was severely rationed, and the sad finite aspect of time. As the letters progress, they evolve from the very formal requests for books to a much more informal, chummy style -- with requests to please visit the shop and promises to do so in the next year.

I shall now have to go do a google search on Helene Hanff and add the movie to my netflix queue. And this book is going into my permanent collection for the time being.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 84, Charing Cross Road.

message 1: by Taueret (new)

Taueret that's so interesting, sounds like that potato peel pie book kind of stole the idea.

Noel I think that after reading several comments which mentioned the similarity between 84 Charing Cross Road and the Potato Peel book (which I loved), I decided to put this book on my TBR list. It sat on my shelf for well over a year before I got around to reading it and I think you're right on. Both books have their merit, though. The movie version of this book is also very decent as well.