Shannon (Giraffe Days)'s Reviews > Reckless

Reckless by Anne Stuart

Mar 17, 11

bookshelves: 2011, historical-romance
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

I hadn't heard of Anne Stuart before coming across this book while browsing, but I liked the covers and the story sounded spicy, so I ended up taking this one and the third book, Breathless. They didn't have the first book in the trilogy, Ruthless, but after reading this one I'd definitely like to read that one too. Even though the books are linked, it's through a particular family, so each novel is a standalone story and it didn't matter that I hadn't read book 1 before this.

Charlotte Spenser is a spinster and a bluestocking, and quite unusual with it too. Having rescued a fallen woman, Meggie, off the streets to be her maid, she's learning how to swear. She lives with her rich widowed cousin, Lina, who indulges in sensual pleasures to make up for having been married to an elderly and abusive man. Lina's sights are set on Adrian Rohan, a Viscount with a reputation for womanising and being awfully good at it too. Charlotte's had a secret thing for Rohan most of her life, and avoids him like the plague, but their paths cross at Lina's ball and her feisty, acerbic tongue makes Rohan more interested in her than ever, perhaps because she's nothing like his usual women.

Determined to educate herself and experience things even if she'll never know a man, Charlotte easily convinces Lina to take her along to a weekend of debauchery at a country manor belonging to a rich friend, Montague. The Heavenly Host, they call themselves, indulge their every sexual pleasure, and Charlotte wants to see - not participate, but dressed as a "Mad Monk" she should be safe from the revellers. Instead, she falls into Rohan's hands and learns far more firsthand than she could ever have witnessed from afar.

But after such a weekend, can either of them walk away from the other? Rohan, jaded and bored with the usual women, is obsessed with thoughts of Charlotte - if only she would trust him enough to make up for the way he used her.

This was such a fun, well-written and sexy novel! The first half is solid plotting and writing, with playful banter and intelligence as we get to know the main characters and believe in the scenario - and indulge alongside Charlotte in Rohan's skill in bed. The story did become less cohesive and a bit slower towards the end, and I was disappointed that Lina's romantic storyline was plopped in here alongside Charlotte's - I prefer one romantic storyline; to have two with one a "lesser" romance isn't fair to the characters, and detracts from the main romance. Though I liked Lina and it was nice to see her happy - I just felt like at a tennis match, constantly swivelling my head between two players, unsure who to watch the most.

Since I read this in early January, I've forgotten most of what I meant to say. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed it, it was certainly very different from the usual historical romances, I was impressed with the writing and found the characters to be lively and convincing, and I'll certainly read more Anne Stuart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reckless.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Muse (new)

Muse Here Love your reviews. You've convinced me to read a few books that I probably otherwise never would have. And so far, I've much enjoyed them. So, thank you!

Shannon (Giraffe Days) Muse wrote: "Love your reviews. You've convinced me to read a few books that I probably otherwise never would have. And so far, I've much enjoyed them. So, thank you!"

Oh that's great to hear! I've had so many great reads thanks to friends recommendations, too; I guess that's why I've run out of room for my books! ;)

Rebecca ♥ Kishan & Warner ♥ I loved book 1. I hope you get around to reading it.