Jeffery Moulton's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: dark-fantasy

This book is fascinating. It details a fictional history of magic during the Victorian Era and specifically focuses on the only two magicians in England who can perform actual magic. The best part is that it is written in the same style as Pride and Prejudice, along with the social commentary that accompanied that book. Even better, it is written as a type of history from the point of view (sort of) of one of the secondary characters and includes extensive footnotes to stories and books that were all made up for the sake of this novel. It's take on magic is also fascinating and distinct from anything I'd read before. It is handled with a touch of awe mixed with a bit of irreverence that was entirely unique. I was intrigued from beginning to end and, for quite a while considered it my favorite book.

That being said, I do warn that this book is very long and takes time to read. But it is more than worth it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.