Lisa's Reviews > The Monk

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: 18thcentury, britain, kindle, 1001-books-read
Recommended to Lisa by: Goodreads 1001 Books group
Read from January 07 to 08, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Phew! I read this easily in one day - it's a pacy, dramatic story full of murder and mayhem and supernatural goings-on.
It has everything: an evil priest, innocent maidens, brave and handsome suitors, unfeeling parents, a corrupt nunnery, babes abandoned on doorsteps, Satanic practices, the Spanish Inquisition - you name the Gothic plot-point and it's here in this story.
It's recommended in 1001 Books You Must Read because it was highly influential in its day. Published in 1795 when its author was only 20, it influenced all the major Gothic writers of the 19th century but the ones I've read of those are pale imitations of this. The Monk Ambrosio although intentionally droll in the early chapters becomes very dark indeed as the story progresses. The infamous monk's sins are those of pride and lust to start with but they rapidly progress until there can be no redemption. As 1001 Books says, it's a portrait of how power in the church corrupts...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Monk.

01/07/2011
8.0% "Kindle location 446.
This is a most amusing book!"
01/07/2011
21.0% "I should be finishing a library book but I can't put this down!"
01/08/2011
46.0% ""An author, whether good or bad, or between both, is an animal whom every body is privileged to attack: for though all are not able to write books, all conceive themselves able to judge them..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by thegift (new)

thegift is this the one considered an original gothic?

Lisa I think so, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monk but also a most interesting article at http://www.erudit.org/revue/ron/1997/... see points 5&6.

message 3: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Wow, is it an easy read for you because you only read it for one day? You are a fast reader! I have not read it (though I have a copy) because it seems to be to be difficult to read.

Lisa Um, yes, I am a quick reader, about 600 wpm for a book like this. I grew up on 19th century classics so I find them quick and easy to read.

message 5: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Awesome! I should be able to do that someday! Thanks!