Brandi's Reviews > Sacrificial Magic

Sacrificial Magic by Stacia Kane

Mar 07, 14

bookshelves: favorites
Read from March 27 to 29, 2012

It was almost a given that I would give this a 5 star because of my love of this series. I admit though that I was a bit worried that I was going to be let down simply because of how high I held this series (thinking of course of the other series that just produced crap after several books in). I should have known that Stacia Kane would not do that me.

Sacrificial Magic took a long time to come, but the wait was worth it considering the quality of the story we are provided. Chess and Terrible left off finally coming together, and SM really takes us into their relationship, and all of the ups and downs that come with what happened to Chess as a child, as well as her addiction. Of course it goes without saying that Chess is mired in another heavy case that challenges her ability to keep her private life separate from her work life. I'm hoping that she doesn't get caught and kicked out of the Church.

Chess is one protagonist that is so flawed, and messed up, that it hurts to follow her around. She makes me want to hug and avoid her in almost equal measure. We get to see a lot more of what happened to her that drove her to become the way she is and think the way she does.

"Or at least most of them, because if she got rid of all of her bad parts there'd be nothing left."

We had been granted small glimpses into Chess's life as a foster kid during the first three books, but we are treated, or tortured with, more detailed memories this time. They made me cringe and even tear up at one point. I don't even have the words. Chess--just, yeah. I don't have the words.

Moving on--Terrible. Oh Terrible. There isn't a person I know of who doesn't love this guy. He is special.

"Seeing him was like being hit in the chest. Like something exploding inside her, a quick ravenous fire that made her shiver. So bright and so hot it still amazed her that no one else seemed to notice it, that every eye the place didn't turn to her while she went incandescent."

Yeah--that guy. I love the way he stands by Chess but doesn't change who he is, and isn't toxic to her. He understands her and doesn't force her to give up her pills because he can see that it isn't something she is ready to do yet. There is a scene in which I worried that maybe Chess would leave him behind, and I was so worried for him because no matter how strong he is, she is his weakness and I didn't want that pain for him. He deserves to have happiness just as much as Chess does, and I love that they are learning to give that to each other.

"Aw, naw, ain't sayin that. You do what you need an ain't try telling you no, but ... takin you to bed, want you there, not just your body. An want you knowin it's me. Love you, Chess. Dig?
*************************
"Always want you, Chessibomb. Always."

I can't wait to see what happens next, and I really can't wait to see what will happens now that Lex changed his job around.

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrificial Magic.

03/28/2012
51.0% "It's killing me how slow I'm forced to read this!"

Catie Release day!! Enjoy it Brandi.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Can't wait for your review!!!

message 3: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie I can't wait to read it!! I am currently reading City of Ghosts, and I have been devouring the Downside Ghosts books this week :)

Brandi Awesome Linda! This is by far one of my most favorite series. :)

message 5: by Lexxie (new) - added it

Lexxie I know - it's amazing! Just finished City of Ghosts now, and Sacrifical Magic is waiting impatiently for me on my kindle :D

Tami OMG!!! I loved this book too!! I love them all equally. There's something about each one, that I cant pick a favorite.. Which is GREAT!! I love Terrible with Chess.. I'm also interested to see where the situation with Lex goes. I really REALLY like Lex and Blue. I think he honestly likes Chess. I wouldn't say he loves her.. But he definitely cares to an extent. I really don't want to see a war. .that would be so sad for me.. :( I also didn't cry at the scene where... after chess had to move the body at the school. I actually laughed. Loud.. lol.. It's so often that the female character in a book, in that situation, would have kept her mouth shut and basiclly bowed to the guy.. I love that she went off. I was feeling like he wasn't trusting her either.. She may have gone a bit far, but I admire the fact that she said anything at all. The 'make-up' scene in the car, in an alley, was touching. didn't cry, but came close. I also LOVE that Chess TOLD him every time her and Lex had an encounter. I hate reading that a girl did something and tried to hide it, when she should have just SAID SOMETHING... anyway.. GREAT BOOK!!! Can't wait till June!

Brandi I didn't cry either, but I teared up when she was having flashbacks. :(

Tami I didn't cry at the flashbacks. They were sad, but I didn't feel they were THAT sad. IDK.. i'm a hard ass sometimes I guess. lol..

Brandi Tami wrote: "I didn't cry at the flashbacks. They were sad, but I didn't feel they were THAT sad. IDK.. i'm a hard ass sometimes I guess. lol.."

I didn't say I cried, lol, I teared up. Cold hearted before hard ass I'd say, lmao!

message 10: by Tami (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tami LOL.. my bad.. I just actually liked all those parts. They happen so rarely in these types of books. With Cat & Bones, it was always HIM going off on HER.. When HE was the asshole.. I love that even though she was high as a kite, she still thought about the fact that he seemed sketchy about trusting her. I understand why Terrible didn't want to 'take her to bed', but up to that point he seemed like he was being wary of her with thinking SHE was the one working for Slobag. So, for me he kinda deserved it. And her flashbacks said a lot about her character, but they were kind of expected, i guess. I mean through all the books it starts going into why she dopes up and what her life was like. It wasn't hard to guess what her past was like. I guess that's why it was no surprise. .or should I say, why I didn't get all mushy. lol.. Oh, and WHY was Blue so mean to her at first? My guess is that she was doing her sisterly duties.. (being mean to the girl who dropped her brother.) Which is why I think Lex actually cares about her more than he lets on.

message 11: by Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads (last edited Mar 08, 2014 12:56AM) (new) - added it

Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads She makes me want to hug and avoid her in almost equal measure.

That's just . . . perfect. I've tried describing this book and it's MCs to a few friends, and I never have a problem with Terrible, but I can't ever figure out what to say about Chess that won't send them running for the hills. I'm so stealing that ;)

Brandi Thanks! I was reading over a couple old reviews, and I had some big errors in this one, so that's how it came back in the feed. I kinda prefer to avoid my old reviews, lol!