Jennifer's Reviews > Love on a Dime

Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James

Feb 08, 11

bookshelves: christian-fiction, received-in-2010, received-for-review, ebook, historical-fiction, read-in-2011, read-on-nook, romance
Read from January 24 to February 06, 2011

** spoiler alert ** When I turned the last page of Love on a Dime by Cara Lynn James, I was a bit sad. I really enjoyed the characters in this novel and I wanted their stories to continue! Lilly Westbrook is a girl after my own heart. God has called her to be a writer. She has penned many dime novels under the pseudonym Fannie Cole as to not draw attention to herself. See, these novels are considered scandalous (even though the people who are claiming they are trashy have not read them – times have not changed much, have they?!). But, anyway… In order to protect her identity and her family’s good name, Lilly hides her writing from everyone close to her.

First and foremost, this is a sweet romance. So, of course, the relationship between Lilly and her beau, Jackson Grail, is what drives the story. The novel opens years in the past with Jackson and Lilly excited to announce their engagement to Lilly’s parents. Jackson, being the insecure boy that he is, overhears a conversation between Lilly’s parents as he is about to walk into the room to ask for their permission to marry their daughter. Of course, this completely changes his mind about the whole thing. So, does he confront them? Well, there wouldn’t really be a story if he did that! Nope, he cuts and runs. Jerk. Maybe I’m too hard on Jackson. He comes from meager stock and feels that he could never provide Lilly with what she deserves. I get it. But, come on! Man up! Lilly is, of course, crushed. But, she picks up and pieces and moves on.

The story picks up years later and we learn that a man of her same social stature, Harlan Santerre, has begun to court her and there is talk of an imminent marriage proposal. It becomes very obvious, very quickly, that these two aren’t a good match. Of course, things get a bit complicated when Jackson returns to the picture, having made his fortune. Things also get a bit hairy when he decides to purchase a publishing company called Jones & Jarman. Do you see where this is going? If you haven’t guessed already, this is Fannie Cole’s publishing company! How will Lilly be able to keep her secret writing life when Jackson is her new boss?

Overall, I enjoyed the story. I did have a couple of small quibbles with it. One is Jackson’s character. I wish he could not have made his fortune and then come back for Lilly. It really made it seem like money was driving his love for Lilly instead of his heart. I was hoping he would have failed and then come crawling back to her, begging for her forgiveness. His character did grow throughout the story and I did end up understanding him in the end, but the whole money thing just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe that is just how things were back in the late 1800s, but why couldn’t he have trusted in Lilly’s love? Why did he have to run away? It just really frustrated me!

Another small issue I had is that the story was wrapped up very oddly, in my opinion. It just didn’t quite connect with how the rest of the story was laid out. Lilly was consumed throughout the entire novel with revealing herself as Fannie Cole. Then, suddenly, her brother makes a stand in his life and she makes a seemingly quick decision that she is okay with outing herself as the infamous authoress? Sorry, that doesn’t jibe with me. There seemed to be no thought that went into the decision other than, “My brother made this huge decision, so I can, too!” Lilly presented herself as this strong, independent woman throughout the entire novel, so this snap decision just didn’t connect with me.

This is a very nice, sweet Christian historical romance that I really enjoyed overall. Other than a few minor annoyances, I would recommend this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love on a Dime.