Morgan F's Reviews > Cryer's Cross

Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann

Feb 02, 11

bookshelves: 2011, young-adult, galleygrab, fantasy, goodreads-author, small-sized, read-2011, its-a-girl, e-book, pretty-covers, paranormal, mystery
Read from January 18 to February 01, 2011

I'm pretty sure there will be spoilers in this review. I'm not so sure yet. Hey!!! I can use the new spoiler button feature! I'm excited now.

This was my first Lisa McMann novel. I want to read her Wake series, but someone stole them from the library. *shakes fist at sky* So I received a copy of this from SImon & Schuster's Galley Grab and I let out a big ole Napoleon Dynamite "Yehsssss". Unfortunately, from what I read of other reviews, this wasn't McMann's best.

This is about Kendall Fletcher, an OCD teen who lives in the small town of Cryer's Cross, Montana, a place where everyone knows everyone else, which makes it doubly disturbing when a 15 year old girl goes missing without a trace. Kendall tries to keep it together, by playing soccer with her long time best friend (or boyfriend, depending on who you ask), Nico, and practicing her dance moves after a long day of working on the family farm. That is, until Nico also disappears. Conspiracy theories aplenty, Kendall doesn't know what to think, her whirling thoughts fueled by the mysterious Jacian, the new (and incredibly sexy) guy in town. Because of her OCD hyperawareness, Kendall realizes that both the missing girl and Nico sat at the same desk in their small, one-room school house. Coincidence? I THINK NOT. Kendall must dive into the darkest history of the town and it's people to uncover the dangerous truth.

Yeah....I can't wrap my head around the "evil desk" concept either. I tried to find a picture of a desk eating someone through Google, but the Internet has failed me. Yet today Kim managed to find multiple images of Stormtroopers gyrating. Priorities, Google.

All right, this book was okay. I'm not the biggest fan of third person narration anyway. I usually have a hard time connecting with the characters, which was the case here. None of the characters were bad necessarily, they just didn't stand out or make lasting impressions. Although, Jacian was pretty sexy *waggles eyebrow*. I was really hoping for a nekked scene, but I guess shirtless will do.

This book was short, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. Its a good thing because it didn't take me four days to read it, but a bad thing in nearly every other regard. It took too long to get to the point. The first half was pretty aimless, wandering around like it had all the time in the world, but halfway through the book it was like McMann went "Shit! I have a hundred pages to finish this thing!". And more time was spent with Jacian offering to give Kendall a ride in his pants home, than any supernatural aspects. Then it all kind of happened at once.

I also wish the supernatural was creepier. Not that desks aren't terrifying and all, but I was expecting a litttttle more. No biggie. (view spoiler)

And Kendall's OCD.....I'm not sure if I believed it or not. I mean, there were moments when it was great, going into detail about how it affected Kendall's life, like her having to go into her classroom early to fix things the way she likes it, but then at moments it was vague like "Kendall's OCD kicked in". As someone who does not have OCD, what does that mean? I would like an explanation.

Overall, it was okay. An enjoyable way to spend a few hours. I understand it wasn't McMann's best, so I am still eager to read Wake (return it, you thief! I shall hunt you down!) Oh and will this be a series? I'm getting mixed feedback on that. Some reviewers are adamant that it is a stand-alone, but the ending had a sense of ambiguity about it that made me wonder. Although I haven't seen any definite proof of a sequel, I would not be surprised.
15 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cryer's Cross.

01/24/2011 page 40
17.0% "Jacian and Kendall are sooo gonna get it on."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Are you going to review this one? I'm still undecided about reading it. Curious what you thought...

Morgan F Yes, I shall review it. But it will most likely be uninteresting.

message 3: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Your reviews are NEVER uninteresting. No pressure. I'm really looking forward to what you have to say about this. I think it will make or break my decision to read it. :D

Morgan F Oh, the PRESSURE.

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene LOL! No pressure just curious. I've read conflicting reviews. So just not sure about it.

~Tina~ I gave this a 3 as well. The story line was creative but just to far fetch for me.

Morgan F They had an (view spoiler). Yeah, just a little far-fetched.

~Tina~ YuP! My point exactly! ^^

Morgan F Also, it was kinda short. Only about half the book had any plot, and in a 230 page book that isn't a good thing.

~Tina~ Your right, why did I give it a three again?

Morgan F I don't know. I just gave it three because I didn't hate it.

~Tina~ Meh, I'll keep it at a three, but am glad I didn't buy this book. It was okay I guess.

Morgan F *nods* Yeah, okay just about sums it up.

message 14: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Well thank you Morgan for the review. I think I'm going to pass on this book after all. So no Cabe in this story?? That's right you haven't read Wake. :)

Great review!!

message 15: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm sorry Google let you down, I wrote an angry letter.

message 16: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review Morgan. I am skipping this one!

message 17: by Flannery (new)

Flannery Until I read your review, I thought this book was part of her other series. I've never read those ones so I was totally clueless.

Make yourself a dang quesa-dilla!

message 18: by Lyndsey (new)

Lyndsey Nice review! Hmmmm, probably not gonna read this one.

And gyrating stormtroopers?! How did I miss that?! *pouts*

Morgan F Flannery wrote: "Until I read your review, I thought this book was part of her other series. I've never read those ones so I was totally clueless.

Make yourself a dang quesa-dilla!"

But give me some of your tots.

~Tina~ Great review! I totally agree:)