Tanna's Reviews > As Always, Julia: The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto: Food, Friendship, and the Making of a Masterpiece

As Always, Julia by Joan Reardon

Apr 07, 12

Read from January 07 to 26, 2011

This is more amazing than anything I've read "about" Julia Child because this is Julia Child talking to a friend in letters over the years.
It gives me the feeling that these two women (Julia & Avis) were blogging before there were blogs. At least, that's the voice that comes through to me reading their letters to each other.
This is gorgeous reading and I know I'm going to be more in love with Julia when I finish reading it that when I started.

As a side note: This book is available on the Kindle but not on iBooks. Having read books on both formats, I've determined I'll pay for a book I'm really going to enjoy on iBooks because it's such a great experience. Given the choice between paying for a book on Kindle and free from the library ... free wins out.

Update: ha ha nope I broke down and bought the kindle version. wrote myself too many notes.

Another Update: now it's on iBooks!

Do you enjoy being a peeping-Tom? Did you live through the 50's?
Do you love cooking ... French cooking ... girl talk ... the French ... politics?
Ever wanted to be a fly on Julia Child's kitchen wall?
Would you have loved to be Julia Child's best friend ... As Always Julia!
Whether or not you agree with her politics, you'll love this book and I think you'll come away loving her more than when you started the book. You'll marvel at what we'd have missed out on if Julia and Avis had used instant messaging.
I loved reading this and wept when it was finished.
I'm struck with what marvelous blogs these two women would have had.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As Always, Julia.