Patricia's Reviews > The Interpretation of Dreams

2782036
Jan 05, 12

bookshelves: newsweek-s-top-100-book-list, non-fiction, kindle-books
Read from October 27, 2011 to January 05, 2012

Freud's idea that all dreams are wish fulfillment is laughable to me, especially the way he came at that conclusion with some dreams. It reminded me of the father in My Big Fat Greek Wedding trying to explain how Kimono originated from a Greek word.

Gus Portokalos: Kimono, kimono, kimono. Ha! Of course! Kimono is come from the Greek word himona, is mean winter. So, what do you wear in the wintertime to stay warm? A robe. You see: robe, kimono. There you go!

Sigmund Freud: "I recall what the dream-allusions to that beautiful country were supposed to mean in the dream of a female patient who had never been to Italy (to Italy, German: gen Italien = Genitalien = genitals)..."

Really? I give the author kudos for originality and imagination, and the first couple of chapters of the book were interesting. After that I got sick of reading dream after dream and Freud's clumsy attempts to steer a dream about sickness or death to wish fulfillment. The book bored me to tears so I had to read it in small doses.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Interpretation of Dreams.