Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > 47 Echo

47 Echo by Shawn Kupfer

Jan 08, 11

bookshelves: arc, netgalley, military-or-special-ops, futuristic-off-planet-or-au, not-a-romance, not-for-the-squeamish, 2011-read, sci-fi, big-screen-worthy-action, no-smexin
Recommended for: fans of action-packed military and war stories,
Read from January 07 to 08, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Normally, the only books I read are romance novels -- paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical/period romance, romantic suspense, romantic fantasy, GLBT romance, you name it, but it's always romance.

When I read the blurb for 47 Echo, however, I was intrigued enough to give a non-romance a shot.

I'm very glad that I did.

This book was amazing. The slightly futuristic world was fantastic, the characters were given depth, the pacing and the action kept you on the edge of your seat for the entire ride.

What worked for me:
* I absolutely adored the basic storyline -- the Convict Conscription Act of 2019 which sent all persons convicted of a crime which received over 6 months of jail time into military service. I also loved that Nick wasn't an "innocent" who'd been wrongly convicted, making him some freak paragon of virtue. Although he may be more cunning, intelligent, courageous, and loyal than most, underneath all of that he's still human with human reactions, which I found very appealing.

* I liked that most of the convict soldiers had no idea about military terms or protocol, and that things were explained to them (and subsequently, the reader) without slowing down the action.

* I also liked that it was set in the not-so-distant future, so that none of the military technology seemed implausible. There was not a single device or piece of technology that felt as though it existed solely in the author's imagination. The stealth tech, medical advancements, weapons, etc., all felt as though they very well could be available to the military by 2019 if they're not already.

* I greatly approved of the development in the story that changed Nick's circumstances in the convict unit.

What didn't work for me:
* Overuse of the word "smirk". Everyone was constantly smirking at everyone else, and after a while, the term got very annoying.

* There were a few instances where Nick's miraculous recovery time seemed completely implausible. The main one that stood out in my mind was how quickly he was back in working order after the box. I found it highly unlikely that a shower and a bottle of water, laced with amphetamines or not, would have him completely back to normal practically immediately after that experience. Sure, everyone kept telling him how awful he looked, but functionally, he was just the same as always.

* The big guy who joined their team, to me, could've been cut completely out of the story and I feel it wouldn't have missed anything. That also would've taken care of the pesky bit about the instant recovery from the box as well.

Points of note:
* Squeamish readers should note that this is a war novel set on the front lines, and as such, there is quite a bit of gore. In my opinion, here's nothing really vomit-inducing, but more sensitive readers may wish to be careful.

* There is quite a bit of racism in this novel (as one character says, "Asian is the new Black"), and there are several instances of racial slurs being used. While I didn't find this disturbing, as none of it was gratuitous, some readers may find this offensive.

I have to say, even though I'm a romance addict, I would love to see this as a movie. The edge-of-your-seat action, the attachment the reader gains to each of the characters, the thrill of sabotage and covert missions, all of it, I think would translate beautifully to the big screen. Not in 3-D though -- I don't think my heart could handle it lol

Overall, I am very glad I gave this story a chance. 5/5 Stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 47 Echo.

01/07/2011
53.0% "this is actually pretty good, which is saying something considering I typically ONLY read romance ;)"

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Jacqueline Great review. I'm definitely going to have to get this one. I read a lot of sci fi and military suspense in addition to my romances so it sounds right up my alley.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks for the review, Jess. I'm a big closet (maybe not so closet) action fanatic, especially sci-fi action.