Sandra D's Reviews > Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven

Rich Mullins by James Bryan Smith

272095
Feb 15, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: biography, religion-theology
Read in February, 2008

I'm really struggling with how to rate this book.

On the cover it's described as a "devotional biography" and, after reading it, I'd have to say that the term "biography" was applied rather loosely. There isn't a linear presentation of the facts of this man's life and career that you would expect, well, that I expect in a biography; it's more like a series of essays on Mullins' faith, works, and beliefs, with a few bare-bones biographical details thrown in.

This book told me very little that I didn't already know about Rich Mullins. I knew that he was a maverick and a basher of sacred cows, I had correctly deduced quite a bit about his beliefs from the lyrics of songs he wrote and his in-concert talks and from interviews he gave, and I admired the fact that he'd made a fortune and could have been even more successful in his field if he'd played along with the star-making machine but, instead, he chose to give away everything he had and work with the poor. I knew that he was one of those rare souls who put his money where his mouth was.

I wanted the linear biography. A more secular biography, I guess. So, in that sense, this book really disappointed me.

On the other hand, I'd hate to discourage anyone from reading it because there's real value here, especially for somebody struggling with their own faith or with Christianity as a whole, like I did for a good many years. What this book offers is an example of a man who truly lived his faith and whose views might make a lot more sense to anyone (like me) who's appalled by the Jerry Falwells and Pat Robertsons of this world and that narrow, bigoted and legalistic brand of Christianity gives all the rest of us such a bad name.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rich Mullins.

message 1: by Cyndy (new)

Cyndy Sandra D Rich's great great grandfather which was mine also was named D.D Mullins. He was an old circuit preacher and finally settled in southern Oklahoma around Ardmore. I have been to the grave site. Rich comes from good Christian stock. Our GG grandfather founded the Mullins association in Oklahoma and the Antioch association with the southern Baptist convention. He also founded a church that still stands and is being used today in maysville ok. Rich came by his Christian roots by DNA but by the grace of God used it for good. Our God is an Awesome God. As the book will tell you He could have went any way but chose Gods highway :-)