Brooke Hargett's Reviews > The Firm

The Firm by John Grisham

Jan 07, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2011

This book was fantastic! Loved every second of it. A few weeks ago it came on TV and I was saying "this is a great movie!" but within minutes I realized I had NOT seen it! I was thinking of A Few Good Men! Who knew I had never seen The Firm?? My husband said he'd read it years ago and it was one of the best books he'd ever read. So, I DVRd the movie and went to get the book (I didn't watch the movie yet, but I've heard it was a disappointment from the book... of course right???)

I seriously couldn't put it down. The premise drew you in- everyone that works hard wants an offer like the one Mitch McDeere is offered by the Firm. It's intoxicating! I wanted to get that offer! There's no way you could say no. Grisham was a master at pulling you into Mitch's shoes, which is impressive since its written in 3rd person omniscient. You feel his stress as the work is piled onto him, and the expectations he places on himself are enormous. He's treading water, at the expensive of his marriage and trying his best to stay afloat. Then as he starts to question things, you feel that same unease, especially because as the reader, you know there is a huge coverup going on. He is so clever, which is awesome because you think there's no way he can get out of it.

The storyline is gripping. Its like you take a huge breath at the beginning and then hold on... because you won't stop til you're at the end. I see why this book put Grisham on the map. Fantastic. Recommend it to anyone that wants to get sucked into a book!
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firm.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Michael Hi Brooke:
Enjoyed your review of "The Firm"
Please check out my blog,
It is about mysteries and thrillers.
I'd love to have you as a follower.
Mike

Brooke Hargett ok thanks!

message 2: by Oklahomadave (new)

Oklahomadave After reading "The Firm" for the first time just a few days ago, I must say it seems a fundamentally different story from the movie adaptation. McDeere's motivations in the movie are entirely different from those in the book. Adaptations obviously remove a great deal from most books when they go to a screenplay, but this was a fundamental overhaul. Really had to think about the difference in the book, and what a compelling movie it would have made had the ending - with Mitch, Ray, and Abby awaiting the Abanks boat while the Nordic chased them - would have worked out on screen, rather than McDeere kicking DeVasher to death in the old building basement....

Elisabeth Winkler Thanks, Oklahomadave - after reading your review of the film, The Firm, I think I might give it a miss. I hate it when films mess so much with the book - which, I agree, was a brilliant thriller.

The film's ending had our canny hero, McDeere, kicking DeVasher to death?! Noooooo! One of the appeals of reading John Grisham's novel,The Firm, was its lack of goriness.

For instance, the way the paper files and folders had more prominence than guns, and our hero used brains not brawn to get out of a life-threatening situation.