Cricket's Reviews > Always the Baker, Never the Bride

Always the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker

Jan 14, 11

Read from January 07 to 14, 2011

I wanted to like this, I truly, truly did. I loved Emma Rae, and honestly, she's what kept pulling me through the book. The characters were all entertaining, and mostly believable.

I don't like to feel like I'm picking apart someone's work, but I also feel that if I'm going to give something a low rating, I should give an explanation. So if you continue to read, please keep in mind that this is not intended to bash the work or the author. Plenty of folks have adored this book, I'm just an anomaly.

Emma Rae's diabetes and random blood sugar updates. While it was nice to see some reality about a serious condition, I was kept on the edge of my seat waiting for some tragic blood sugar or insulin emergency. The foreshadowing with no accompanying incident were frustrating.

I'm a diehard HEA campaigner. If I'm reading, I'm doing so to be entertained, and HEA entertains me. The ending (no spoilers) hinted at such, but for me was incredibly disappointing. I felt like I was just dropped off on the street corner 12 blocks from my destination. In uncomfortable shoes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always the Baker, Never the Bride.

01/13/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mercedes Cordero What do you mean HEA?

Cricket HEA = happily ever after

Mercedes Cordero Well, I just finished reading it, and I have to agree. I felt deflated.