Jonny Claffey's Reviews > Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking

Blink by Malcolm Gladwell

U_50x66
Jul 28, 11

Read from May 08 to July 28, 2011

This book is really interesting to me. It is all about how the brain makes snap decisions with out the person really knowing. I think that one of the most interesting examples or chapters in the book so far is the one that is the one about Paul Van Ripper. This had to play the bad guy in a military simulation and he had less men, information, firepower etc... than the "good guys." However, Van Ripper was a military veteran and he didnt need all this extra information. He bombed the hell out of the blue team and destroyed thousands of their men and many battle ships. (in a simulation of course)

This shows that excess information is useless and sometimes instead of helping us like one would assume, excess information can hinder our decisions and make us think harder about a problem that can be solved in the blink of an eye. This book is right up my alley and I cant wait to finish and read more of Gladwell's books.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blink.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Ms. Carlino I LOVE this book. Of the Gladwell books, this remains my favorite. Tipping Point also rocked, but this one just digs into the heart of so many various decisions and actions. I'm glad you found it both enjoyable and thought-provoking.

Ms. Carlino You should really read Freakonomics, too, if you like this kind of reading.