Asa's Reviews > Fear of Flying

Sep 17, 2015

liked it
bookshelves: 1001-books, female_author
Read in January, 2011

I have mixed feelings about this book, in that I enjoyed the author's voice and the way the book is written, and I mostly liked Isadora, but I absolutely couldn't stand her romantic interests and had no idea what she saw in them. The book is written in alternating chapters, and one part is set in Isadora's now as she goes to a psychiatric conference in Vienna with her husband, meets a new man and tries to figure out what to do about it, and the other part is her narrating her past and how she got to that point in her life. It was the second part I really liked, the way Isadora talked about growing up and struggling with family expectations and romantic disappointments, and trying to find a way to live her life and trying to be a writer and having a love life at the same time. The part that really didn't work for me was the love life, like I said, because the men Isadora got involved with were all so unlikeable, and I couldn't imagine wanting to have a relationship with any of them and here she was getting completely besotted with them, all the while telling you how terrible they were. I just hope that, after the end of the book, she dumped both the husband and the other man and found someone she could actually like and talk to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear of Flying.