Amanda's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Nov 29, 11

bookshelves: 52-books-in-2011
Read in November, 2011

This may be closer to 2.5 stars. All I can think is "well, that was a let down." Seriously, I had high expectations for this book because I really liked Matched, but I just feel like nothing happened. So much time was spent with flowery/philosophical writing (and I don't even mean the poetry because I liked those parts) that very little action seemed to take place. I didn't even feel much for the relationship between Cassia and Ky, which is clearly a HUGE part of the series.

I still like the overall storyline and will read the third book, but I feel like this book did nothing but set the state for the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jen at Reading Lark I'm actively avoiding my copy as I've noticed a few people say this and I don't want to read it and agree!!

I'll be so gutted if I spent all that time desperate for a book which is a real let down!

Amanda Exactly! I have been waiting for this book for forever, so I was completely bummed when I didn't love it.

Angela Yeah I rated it two stars. 2.5 would have been most accurate. I was completely bummed and disappointed. What a strangely written book. I don't have an issue at all with the plot and where she took it. It was the writing. Horrible.

Amanda Yes! What the heck happened to the writing in this book!? I just kept getting annoyed with it and forcing myself not to skip paragraphs at a time.

Angela hahah - me too! it was probably the most frustrating book to read through. It felt so disjointed and like we weren't getting a complete story at all. I am afraid I skimmed a lot of it.

message 6: by Kelli Belli (new) - added it

Kelli Belli Great. Now I don't know if I want to read it. Boo.

Amanda If you liked Match, I'd still say read it, and then let's all hope the third book in the series is better.

message 8: by Kelli Belli (new) - added it

Kelli Belli I guess, I will just push this one further down the To Read List then.

Angela yeah you should read it for sure, but you have some others that you need to read first!

Jen at Reading Lark Well, I read it... I did like it, and perhaps because I was enjoying the setting. But I agree that Cassia & Ky seemed to flounder when they were together, very little spark. I have come around to the idea that Xander could be the one, and that he and Ky are probably one quite a level playing field now as far as Cassia is concerned.