Samantha's Reviews > Bet Me

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Jul 25, 13

God bless Chick-lit. Especially Chick-lit that's happy and filled with sexual tension and innuendo!

Here's the story: Min Dobbs (yes, horrible name, but it illustrates how 'plain' she sees herself) gets dumped in the opening sentences by David, who then meets up with God's gift to women, Cal Morrisey and bets him that Cal can't bed Min in a month (because David couldn't in two). At the exact same moment, Min and her girlfriends are checking out Cal and daring Min to go over to him. She does and overhears the bet, with one slight misunderstanding and the game begins.

It's full of little heart-stopping girly-girl fantasy love life moments, from both main characters, and naturally several $10 bets. And, of course, the uncaring, mean spirited, unattentive-to-what-their-child-really-needs/wants parents who jump in
now and then, creating doubt about what seems too good to be true. All of the characters were interesting, and those that wouldn't be were for the most part ignored (the immediately in love friends, Min's father and likely secretary/lover) and a few curve balls were sent (like when the domineering best friend who knows the secret to all beastly men NOT hooking up with the constantly-looking good-natured lesbian bartender).

Just about everybody had a theory for love -- Chaos theory, the Fairy Tale -- but the one that was
my favorite, the one I thought I should have copied down, was Cynthie's theory. She said there were four stages of love:

1. Assumption: subconcious cues that the person you're with is someone you assume you'd be attracted to
2. Attraction: looking to see if the person you're with is appropriate for you. This phase is chockfull of various clues, like copulatory gazes, accepted touches, mirroring each other's moves, etc.
3. Infatuation: attraction reinforced with joy and or pain leads to infatuation, in which you make a connection and attach to each other
4. Mature, Unconditional Love: the final stage; nothing can separate you now

Like I said: happy Chick-lit. Made me giggle more than once, made my heart stop in anticipation and envy, and left me with a smile on my face every time I stopped the disc.

My one major complaint about this book (which may not be a problem for people who read the actual book rather than listen,
cause I'm sure it wouldn't have bothered me then): SAID

It seemed as though Jennifer Crusie* had never read a thesaurus for alternative choices for "said". And it popped up almost every sentence. "Blah blah blah," Min said. "Yadda yadda yaadaaa," Cal said. Et cetera et cetera...That's the only time the book annoyed me or made me roll my eyes. One other item that has kept me from reading more by Crusie was her fascination with specific food items/meals, in this case Krispy Kreme donuts and Chicken Marsala.

*Slightly edited to reflect a spelling error on my part, willfully pointed out by a troll. Thank you for your correction.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bet Me.

Kylara Jensen I did notice the thing about the food in this book, but that's not in her other books, although a lot of her books have similarities.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Evans The overuse of "said" has always put me on the brink of madness. I rarely finish books written by authors who do it. Will rethink reading this one...