Indiaskye's Reviews > Die Madonna von Murano

Die Madonna von Murano by Charlotte Thomas

Feb 07, 11

bookshelves: german-authors, historical-fiction, books-read-in-2011, renaissance-italy
Read from February 01 to 07, 2011, read count: 1

Rating this book wasn't easy. You see ... the first approx. 700 pages had me thinking that "The Madonna of Murano" would be a 5-star book for sure --- the writing was vivid and descriptive (15th-Century Venice really came to life before my eyes), the characters were well-drawn, and the story as a whole was just really epic.

But then the last 300 pages came around --- complete with a totally irrelevant side story that was so unnecessary that it must have been put in there just to add length (I guess the author really wanted to write a book with over 1000 pages), and a final twist that was so stupid that it had me roll my eyes thinking "You can't be serious!". Needless to say that those final 300 or so pages were more of a 2-star book.

So, basically, that would mean I'd have to give it 3.5 stars over all, but I'm gonna be nice and round it up to a 4-star rating since I did really enjoy the book for the most part ... ;o)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Die Madonna von Murano.

02/01/2011 page 269
25.87% "Really good so far! This is what historical fiction should always be like!!!"
02/04/2011 page 660
63.46% "660 pages down, only 368 more to go ... ;o)"
02/06/2011 page 948
91.15% "Less than 100 pages to go! Yay! It's a good book, but I'll still be glad to finally get to the end of it ... ;o)"