Emanuela ~plastic duck~'s Reviews > Mongrel

Mongrel by K.Z. Snow

Jan 14, 2011

bookshelves: favorites, steampunk, rainbow-gay, glbt, romance
Read on January 13, 2011

Fanule Perfidor is not a name, it's a magical spell that gives life to one of the hottest, sexiest, nicest, most compassionate, most sympathetic and BEST characters I've ever read. In the book everyone seems to be startled and awed by his physical presence and I have no doubt about it, because he takes possession of the heart and mind of the reader and then you're his. He has a dangerous and sinful aura, he has scars and he is probably bi-polar, going through mania and depression in phases, taking a potion to keep his balance. He is committed to his people, the Mongrels. He is their leader and protector. His sense of justice leads his action and when he gives himself, be it with his heart or his body, he is generous and open and vulnerable.

Will Marchman (William for Fanule) is the other half. He is a nice young man, maybe a little naive, but he is courageous and deceivingly strong, the perfect match for Fanule. Will is a Pure, 100% human, and in a world where Mongrels are treated as outcasts and branded with a ratio that expresses their mixed heritage, he's never bothered by Fanule's different nature. He offers his love to him (and then his help) dismissing his worries and embracing his lover's cause as if it were his own. He tends to him with a tender care that wins you over.

The setting is awesome and it revolves around a Circus where bad things are happening. Fanule is determined to uncover the misdeeds of the Circus' owner and those of the mayor that's supporting the unlawful incarceration and persecution of the Mongrels. In his mission he is helped by Clancy, a powerful vampire, and Simon, a Pure bounty-hunter who decides to support the Mongrels. Clancy and Simon have frequent trysts and their relationship is very entertaining and funny in places. The world where the characters live is full of magic and you get to know it page by page, information is never dumped on the readers and you find yourself immersed in it without realizing it's happening.

This book is recommended to anyone, but especially to those who like steampunk novels. I finished the book yesterday and I'm still thinking about it, I'm keeping Fanule right here with me. I love you Fanule, really.
14 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mongrel.

01/13/2011
11.0% "I'm already in love with this book!"
41.0% "This is addictive" 4 comments
01/13/2011
56.0% "I don't think I've ever read a book so fast! I like Clancy, the vampire :)"

Bookwatcher oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
NO you don't!
Hands off Fan!
[image error]

HE IS MINE!

[image error]Fan....
I love him more than you!
:-P

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ It's your birthday and I don't want to argue with you but he's MINE :P

message 3: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Great, great, great review!!

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Thanks Camilla! Have you seen the cover: one green and one purple eye!!! He's everything, read it!!!

Bookwatcher Emanuela ~Zstyx~ wrote: "It's your birthday and I don't want to argue with you but he's MINE :P"

no no no
he is mine!
Take Will... come on, FAN IS MIIIIINNNEEEE!

like always, amazing review
:-)

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Delusional. He's mine, I gave it to you temporarily for your present, but he'll come back :P

Bookwatcher hahahaha
I KNEW IT!
There was a trick in this birthday gift!
You are so mean!
:-P
ok... I'll take the vampire then... he is damn funny and hot (oooo long white hair... ohhhhh HOT). So you can have Fan, no problem

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Ok

lol, we're crazy :D

message 9: by Bookwatcher (last edited Jan 14, 2011 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bookwatcher :-P
yeah

I'm glad I got the vampire... he is a great character

:-P

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Yes! Did you see how long his celibacy lasted? I didn't trust Simon at the beginning, but he's great for Clancy. But you'd be greater for Clancy :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooooooooo sounds fantastic :D

Emanuela ~plastic duck~ Yes, it is. Fanule is unforgettable!

message 13: by Val (new)

Val Kovalin Emanuela, I felt just as you did about Fanule. He's so memorable, and I really hope the author does a sequel with him!

Antonella Manu, thank you for the beautiful review. I've seen it only now. BTW Val wrote an equally beautiful review, but she didn't put it here, only on the Obsidian Bookshelf. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*