Tiffany Neal's Reviews > Shutter Island

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

Feb 02, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, adult-mystery
Read from January 30 to February 02, 2011

So, I rarely EVER do this, but my husband and I watched the movie a few weeks ago, and THEN I decided to read the book. Honestly, most of the time if I watch a movie and then find out that it's a book, I don't feel the need to read the book also, but immediately after seeing the movie, I knew I needed to read the book and then watch the movie AGAIN.

I had honestly never heard of the author before and then when I realized he also wrote Gone, Baby Gone (another wonderful movie) I began to grow a deep respect for Dennis Lehane.

He does the psychological thriller perfectly. He plays with your mind, makes you wonder what is going on, leaves you scratching your head at the end, wanting to read it again to find all the clues, and all along it is wonderfully written. Even beautiful at times.

LOVED it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shutter Island.

Quotes Tiffany Liked

Dennis Lehane
“He wanted to ask her what sound a heart made when it broke from pleasure, when just the sight of someone filled you the way food, blood, and air never could, when you felt as if you'd been born for only one moment and this, for whatever reason, was it.”
Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island

Dennis Lehane
“Those eyes, Teddy thought. Even frozen in time, they howled. You wanted to climb inside the picture and say, 'No, no, no. It's okay, it's okay. Sssh.' You wanted to hold her until the shakes stopped, tell her that everything would be all right.”
Dennis Lehane, Shutter Island