Chel's Reviews > Cashelmara

Cashelmara by Susan Howatch

Jan 07, 2011

Read in January, 1981

Read a long time ago. See comments on Penmarric.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cashelmara.

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa I read Howatch's series about Anglican priests a while ago - Glittering Images, Scandalous Risks, Glamorous Powers and Ultimate Prizes - and I quite enjoyed them. They were interesting because they were about church politics which I knew nothing about. Bt yes, I don't know if I'd read them now.u

Chel Back then I used to read family sagas and thoroughly enjoyed them. I admit my reading taste was very limited and I didn't watch soapies on TV, so they were quite intruiging.

I tried to get into the Cross Stitch sagas in '98. Loved that one but found parts of it tedious. The second book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber I found tedious and repetitive, so didn't bother.

I resisted getting into McCulloch's sagas about the men in Rome and am glad I did.

By then I was thirsting for more satisfying reads but only started to do somethng about this when I joined The Bookies and then later ANZLL!

(Just been trying to set up a WordPress blog but it's not as easy as I thought it would be. I have been a bit dissatisfied with Blogger and i read that you can import your Blogger to WordPress, so will keep going tomorrow. I have been staring at reports all day long in Excel and my eyes are bleary!)

Off to read Dog Boy!
Looks like you are making great progress with your reading?
Did you download Balzac on the Oz Gutenberg or the global Gutenberg? I have no experience with this at all.

Cheers,
Chel

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Chel, I can help with WordPress, I've guided a couple of people with getting into WP and off Blogger (which is such a useless thing, no one can comment and then the blogger gets disheartened).
Email me privately to tell me where you're up to and I'll see if I can help.
Re Balzac, I mostly download the stories to my Kindle from manybooks.com but if you don't have a Kindle, download the free Kindle for PS (or Mac) from the Amazon site and then 'buy' the Balzac books from Amazon, because nearly all of them are free. The Kindle reader for PC is really good and makes it much easier to read on a computer.

Chel Thanks for the offer of help and the advice re. downloads Lisa. I haven't had a chance to do anything with WP yet but I will take you up on your offer. I have been having a monster clear out of my craft stash. Honestly, what was I thinking? Do I plan on living until I'm 300 or something!!!

It's a nasty hot day here and I keep having to take a break in the cool of the aircon instead of my hot stuffy sewing room. Haven't even got enough room to put a fan in that room!!! Oh well, someone at Vinnies is going to be delighted with fabric, ephemera etc!