Annii Frazer's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Jan 06, 11

Read in January, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book was incredibly well written, and for the first 300 pages, I really enjoyed it. Even though very little happened in the way of action, it kept the reader interested, and I found myself intrigued by the characters and the setting.

Then Maxim told us what happened.

And somehow, we are supposed to find sympathy with a man who killed his wife in cold blood because he thought she was pregnant with another man's child. He feels no remorse for doing this, and at one point tells us that he would gladly do it again.

And this is our hero.

Our "heroine" if you can call her that, is even worse. Her only reaction to the fact that her husband is a murderer is along the lines of "yay! He really didn't love her, life is good."

Um.

And then the rest of the book is her worrying and fretting and fainting from fear that justice might actually be served (it isn't, unless you consider the burning of their house justice).

I just had a LOT of problems with the last (approximately) hundred pages. Like so many books and movies, it led up to something great, and then really disappointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.