Small Review's Reviews > Athena the Brain

Athena the Brain by Joan Holub

Jun 03, 2016

bookshelves: published-2010, g-retelling, library-own-e
Read from January 06 to 07, 2011

This book is so cute! Honestly, I wasn't expecting too much with this book, especially when I opened it up and saw large, double-spaced text. I figured the characters and maybe a few locations would recall Greek myths, but I thought that would be the extent of things. This would have been fine and cute for the middle-grade audience this is intended for, but it would have been less interesting for me.

Luckily, the references to Greek myths went well beyond the characters' names! The entire book--the characters, their interactions with one another, the plot events--it all ties in to the famous (and less famous) myths. I had a blast seeing how the authors seamlessly wove in the events in a bunch of different myths with the more modern and spunky story set in a school for gods and goddesses.

The writing style is definitely middle-grade. I think kids, particularly girls, will love the way this book is written. Athena is a sweet girl who struggles with problems regular kids deal with too (mean girls, worrying about school work, making friends, moving, etc). Her feelings are expressed in a way that I think kids will find easy to relate to, almost like they are talking to one of their own friends. As an adult, I found the almost over the top writing to be cute and funny. The plot is overly simplistic, but it was fun and sweet.

I was entertained while reading this book and I will be checking out the other books in the series soon. Very much recommended to kids, but I think adults interested in Greek myths can also find something to appreciate here.

www.smallreview.blogspot.com
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Athena the Brain.

01/06 page 63