Rick's Reviews > Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found

Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck

Jan 06, 11

Read from January 04 to 06, 2011, read count: 1

Living in Reno, I picked this book up primarily because of the local connection, The author was born and partially raised in this area and I thought I'd give it a shot. The book turned out to not really be my cup of tea, though the author does a great job writing. I can't fault her writing at all.

The author---Jennifer Lauck---has a mother who is dying at the beginning of the book, a workaholic father who is often times absent, and a bit older brother who is portrayed throughout much of the book as being very obnoxious. Not just "older brother annoying", but downright obnoxious. He seems to have no redeeming qualities. This book is a memoir, so what we're getting is Jennifer Lauck's take on her childhood. And it is a very disturbing one. From the sick mother, to sexual molestation by a camp counselor, a wicked step-mother, and then losing her father to a heart attack when she was ten years old. Pretty rough going. I feel for her. But I found nothing in the book that was even the least bit uplifting. Again though, I must give the author credit for rising above those circumstances that life threw her and growing into a strong and successful woman.

The book ends when she is 12 and is sent off to live with relatives. She has written two sequels to this book, that discuss the rest of her life after "Blackbird". I won't be reading those. Just not enough in the first book to make me want to spend the time. If you like miserable life story kinds of books, this one's for you. It's just not for me.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbird.