Jon's Reviews > A Beacon of Hope

A Beacon of Hope by Walter E. Mark

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read from February 27 to March 05, 2011

Let me start out the review stating, it is never good in any circumstance to heighten your hopes for a book/movie before you read/watch it as chances are, your expectations for the book will fall short. I did that with this book, seeing a 4.6 rating on Goodreads and thinking it must be close to the invention of sliced bread. I think I may have enjoyed it a bit more otherwise.

For future readers of the book, keep this in mind. The author does have different writing styles for various characters in the book. At first when I was reading it, I got extremely frustrated by the straight-forward, almost Jr. High School style writing of some chapters. Once I realized that the way each chapter was written was an insight into the way that character thought and acted, that helped me enjoy the rest of the book much more.

One other thing I disliked was how short the book really was, however this may be more of a personal thing as I'm used to reading books that are 500-1000 pages in small print, versus the 350 large print pages that A Beacon of Hope is. I'm sure other people would enjoy the shorter book format.

Either way, I'd still recommend the book to anyone who enjoys Science Fiction, but I think having some "ground rules" set down for the book before reading it could definitely heighten the experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beacon of Hope.

03/02/2011 page 150