Vicki's Reviews > The Thief

The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner

F 50x66
Feb 08, 08

Recommended to Vicki by: kids from Kennedy
Recommended for: middle school and up any gender
Read in August, 2007

". . . I had bragged without shame about my skills in every wine store in the city. I had wanted everyone to know that I was the finest thief since mortal men were made, and I must have come close to accomplishing the goal. Huge crowds had gathered for my trial. Most of the guards in the prison had turned out to see me after my arrest,and I was endlessly chained to my bed when other prisoners were sometimes allowed the freedom and sunshine of the prison's courtyard."
You will be amazed by Gen, the thief and narrator of the trilogy of which this book is the first. Yes, it opens in prison - so does he overstate his cleverness? This is a book that requires close reading. I used ellipses to avoid "As part of my plans for greatness" which will mean more to the reader as he journeys through all three volumes of this most incredible saga. But would you have caught that phrase as significant? You can "miss" things and still enjoy this adventure book, but if you catch them, put the pieces together, strip the characters down to their core motives, oh what a read.
I love, love, love these books. They are beautifully woven and wear well as you think back and anticipate forward.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief.