Kasandra's Reviews > Seeing the Blue Between: Advice and Inspiration for Young Poets

Seeing the Blue Between by Paul B. Janeczko

Jan 06, 11

Read in January, 2011

The advice to young poets = very good. Wish someone had told me some of these things when I started "seriously" writing poetry at age 13. The poems themselves = really poorly chosen, I felt. Very few of them interested or moved me at all, and I enjoy good childrens' poetry. There were a couple of very good poems in here, but no matter what age group this book is geared toward (I was never quite sure, but perhaps it's elementary school), I felt the poems were too geared only toward young children and tended to be too simplistic. Kids can appreciate and understand better poetry than this, and to use some examples of great poetry wouldn't have hurt, or better poems that weren't all geared toward 8 year olds. A couple of people mentioned Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet, and including some quotes from that would have helped tremendously. A dumbed-down book, I think. If I had a child who wrote poetry I'd give them the advice and skip the book and steer them toward better poetry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeing the Blue Between.