Wanda's Reviews > La Dame aux Camelias

La Dame aux Camelias by Alexandre Dumas-fils

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: favorites

I can do no better than quote from the book, which made me cry--and which also compelled me to visit Bougival.
"Everything was believed except the truth."
"Why do we hold obstinately to the opinions of the world, which hardens itself in order that it might be thought strong."
"Sorrow sharpens the sensations."
"It is very fortunate that the imagination lends so much poetry to the senses, and that the desires of the body make so much concession to the dreams of the soul."
"To be really loved by a courtesan: that is a victory of infinitely great difficulty."
"One has always had a childhood, whatever one becomes."
"Women sometimes allow you to be unfaithful to their love; they never allow you to wound their self-esteem."
"We are not allowed to have hearts, under penalty of being hooted down."
"We must have done something very wicked before we were born, or else we must be going to be very happy indeed when we are dead for God to let this life have all the tortures of expiation and all the sorrows of an ordeal."
Review: Camille

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Dame aux Camelias.

Quotes Wanda Liked

Alexandre Dumas-fils
“Everything was believed except the truth.”

Alexandre Dumas-fils
“One has always had a childhood, whatever one becomes.”

Alexandre Dumas-fils
“Women sometimes allow you to be unfaithful to their love; they never allow you to wound their self-esteem.”

Alexandre Dumas-fils
“We are not allowed to have hearts, under penalty of being hooted down.”
tags: life

Alexandre Dumas-fils
“We must have done something very wicked before we were born, or else we must be going to be very happy indeed when we are dead, for God to let this life have all the tortures of expiation and all the sorrows of an ordeal.”
tags: life