Lisa Wolf's Reviews > The Little Stranger

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

Mar 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-fiction, creepy-spooky, ghosts-graves-and-hauntings

"The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters was, for me, a disappointment. I've read two other books by Waters ("Fingersmith" and "Tipping the Velvet"), which were among the best books I've read all year. "The Little Stranger", while well written, felt like quite a slog. Waters does a great job of evoking a period in time -- in this case, post WWII English countryside. The story focuses on a country doctor's growing relationship with the Ayres family of Hundreds Hall. The Hall, and the family, have suffered over the year and have fallen into disrepair. When mysterious occurrences begin to tear the family apart even further, Dr. Faraday tries his best to provide rational explanations and treatments for the puzzling and ultimately dangerous events. I had expected this book to be spooky and compelling. Instead it was slow and plodding, with rare bursts of suspense tucked in among pages of exposition. All in all, while Waters' excellent writing is always enjoyable, "The Little Stranger" was a let-down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Stranger.