L-A's Reviews > Bright Young Things

Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen

Jan 06, 11

bookshelves: edwards-bookclub-reviews
Read in October, 2010

This was a fun, quick read. I read the whole thing on a flight home from Iceland. Like Godbersen's previous Luxe series, this book is total meringue. But that is a good thing. Meringue is fluffy and light and totally tasty. You can eat a lot of meringue really fast and not feel sick. So a book that is meringue is a good thing.

This series is a step up from the Luxe series. In the Luxe series, Godbersen starts by giving away the ending and then goes back to the beginning. The trouble with that was I couldn't really care enough about the characters or the stories. I just wanted to get it over with already. I did read the entire series, but there was always a lingering sense of annoyance. She doesn't make that mistake in this book and just follows the two girls from a little mid-west town to NYC during the 1920s. One girl is in search of her father, a wealthy bootlegger, the other is looking to be a star. Of course, they have varying degrees of success in the search. The parts spent in a Long Island mansion were a bit like Gatsby Lite. Really, really lite. But again, that's okay. Not every book can be the Great Gatsby.

And like the previous series, we're left on a cliffhanger to wait for the next. And I'll be quite happy to pick that one up too.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Young Things.