Corinne's Reviews > Totenbraut

Totenbraut by Nina Blazon

Feb 04, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, german-books, ghosts-a-o-spirits, historical-fiction, vampires, witches, romance-a-o-love, stand-alone
Read from January 06 to February 02, 2011

I'm still not sure whether this book really deserves even 2 stars, because I expected more after reading that many positive reviews to "Faunblut" by the same author, though I haven't read this one so far. So then I saw this one in my local library, I picked it up to give it a try. An error. I like the cover picture a lot, the supposed Vampire theme and the title sounded interesting as well. But I simply couldn't care less for the main character, Jasna, a 15 year-old girl, who is sold of by her father to get married in Slovania near the Turkish border in appr. the 17th century. The story starts promising and from the 1st view prospective of Jasna and she describes in detail the ruthlessness, inner thoughts and hardship of her family at this time and age. However, at the end of the novel everything is resolved in just three chapters and simply ends too "candy-cotton-sweet" for my taste. I think that an appropriate ending, whether "good" or "bad" is essential for every book and in this case, the ending just didn't fit the storyline at all.
I was imagine while reading this books that Nina Blazon simply checked the plot before writing the climax and thought:" Hey, I just remembered that I write this one for teens, so I need to give it a happy ending. Otherwise, all these poor readers will be shocked!"

To sum up, the only reason for giving it two stars is that the author really did a very good historical research and I really felt catapulted back in time and space, but this is simply not enough to make a book memorable- at least in my opinion ;)
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Totenbraut.

01/08/2011 page 15

message 1: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks Good to know.

Corinne I really tried to like this book because it has a nice cover, an interesting title and I like vampire stories, but if the author didn't research the background that well I would have given it just one star! I so hope that "Faunblut" is really that good and I must admit that if I hadn't read the good reviews I would surely think about skipping it after reading this one by the same author ;)

message 3: by Teccc (new)

Teccc hmmm... Well, I have it on my TBR shelf and I must admit that I like happy-endings a lot, so I'm still going to give it a try ;)

Corinne Yeah, you should definitely give it a try ;) I don't mind happy-endings if it suits the story, but in this case it was just too much for me.

message 5: by Janina (new) - added it

Janina Ahh, I have this as well, I swapped it at TT's shortly before everything went down ;). So I will eventually read it, but I agree that happy endings that solve every problem and make everyone happy can sometimes be too much to take ... (aka Breaking Dawn).

Corinne Amen, "sister"! That is exactly what I meant. I so hope to forget "Breaking dawn" and simply wish I could take a pill to delete my memory of every reading it! I'm sure that Stephenie Meyer will write a sequel series about Jakob and Nenesmeere (or whatever was her name?) in the not to distant future. A crime....

Indiaskye Oh gosh ... I so want that pill, too!!! "Breaking Dawn" was the first (and so far only) book that made me wish I could go back in time and chuck it out the window before I could make the mistake of reading it!!!

message 8: by Corinne (last edited Feb 09, 2011 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Corinne Tell me when you find this pill! I guess I need a few more for at least the "Evermore" and "Darkfever" books.