brian 's Reviews > Slayground

Slayground by Richard Stark

193310
Jan 06, 2011

to hell with y'all and all your crummy new years resolutions: 'lose weight, stop smoking, go vegetarian (<--although, that you should do!), be more/less adventurous, etc...' boring. totally boring. my resolution: gonna read every one of richard stark's 'parker' novels this year. and they're all gonna be those lovely gorgeous knockout new U. of Chicago editions. y'know what... lemme throw a few more chips in the pot: i'm gonna read all the ones currently available - that's 15 of 'em - this month. and then in april, when they release the next nine, i'll pound through those. so i'll have two months in between to recuperate or go into withdrawal... we'll see what happens.

it doesn't always work out as planned, but i try and divide my life bilaterally: the one half is a blur of lost days, days of adventure, dementia, drunkenness, travel, etc.; the other half is leaving the house as infrequently as possible and consists mostly of sitting in my office subsisting on a diet of massive amounts of coffee, books, music, dog-cuddling, masturbation, writing, and crap television/movies. the end of january marks my 37th birthday and what better way to celebrate than to head back to nyc for a week and run around like a chicken with its head cut off revealing me, in truth, as some pathetic rapidly-approaching-middle-aged loser still chasing his childhood... so in the weeks running up to my birthday it's the 'quiet' side of the equation, which means headphones roaring with the likes of bitches brew, new tijuana moods, singles going steady, and live dead; the oaks (my local coffee spot); working on these two stupid stupid scripts; editing this stupid stupid film; golden-hour hikes with my doggie; and total immersion in the world of 'parker' -- a great world to inhabit assuming, of course, you don't end up on parker's bad side.

and why the parker books? well, because they're the best. i've been hearing this forever. boorman's point blank, his version of the hunter, is some kinda loopy, jagged masterpiece. God(ard) based made in the usa on the jugger. tosh is a massive fan. as is mike reynolds. so i finally hunkered down at the book store and read a few chapters of slayground and the deal was sealed. i raced home, blasted through the book in an afternoon, immediately went back to the store, grabbed the score, and finished it that night (even better than slayground!)

i'll prolly jot down a few sentences after each book so ain't gonna blow my wad just now on why stark is god and parker a greater creation than adam, eve, light, earth, and any and all of us. just this: so far as i can tell, stark's plots are totally nutso. dig slayground: parker and two men crash the armored truck they just hijacked, parker snatches the satchel of money, and he escapes into a closed-down (it's winter) amusement park with only one entrance and exit. a bottle narrative deluxe! as 20 men (gangsters and crooked cops) come in to get him, parker's gotta booby-trap the hell outta the place and we get all the good stuff: shoot-outs in the house of mirrors, guys getting trapped in carnival rides, money stashed on fake pirate ships, standing painfully still in house of wax displays, fist fights, stabbings, shootings, etc...

now y'all keep quiet about this guy. i've gotta finish these scripts, build up my cred, and convince some studio bitch to buy the rights to one of these books for me so i can show boorman and God(ard) how it's really done.

next up: the score
24 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slayground.

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio i try and divide my life bilaterally: the one half is a blur of lost days, days of adventure, dementia, drunkenness, travel, etc.; the other half is leaving the house as infrequently as possible and consists mostly of sitting in my office subsisting on a diet of massive amounts of coffee, books, music, dog-cuddling, masturbation, writing, and bad television/movies.

Dude, we've gotta hang out some day(s).

That's a pretty rapturous review (e.g. stark is god and parker a greater creation than adam, eve, light, earth, and any and all of us) for a four star rating. Seems there's some mystery behind the missing fifth star...

message 2: by brian (last edited Jan 06, 2011 04:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

brian   no shit, fleshy, no shit.
i keep telling kowalski i'm gonna come out there and visit him in nowheresville and i really need to finally do it. when that happens we'll shoot up to your neck o' the woods and get stupid.

message 3: by karen (new)

karen this is quite a time-commitment for someone who has made promises...

maybe i wont' read don quixote after all

grumble grumble

brian   i will read the erickson before i come to NYC.
i proooooooooooooooooomiiiiiiiiiiiiise!

message 5: by Joshua Nomen-Mutatio (last edited Jan 06, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Coincidentally I was just about to alert karen to the fact that I ordered two books by him a few days ago, The Sea Came At Midnight and Our Ecstatic Days. I'm assuming that's the Erickson you're talking about.

message 6: by brian (last edited Jan 06, 2011 05:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

brian   yeah, our wise kind and generous karen brisette gave me a copy of the sea came in at midnight last time i was in nyc, and i promised her i'd read it. i will! it will be done before i next enter the hallowed halls of the union sqaure b&n (at which time i will also nail karen and greg with snowballs).

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio I read "i will also nail karen and greg" with a sexual connotation and then laughed (outloudbuddy!) when I reached the words "with snowballs."

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio Look at this weird ad next to your review:

(I still haven't clicked on it to see what the hell it's advertising.)

message 10: by karen (new)

karen hhmph. no one who has not read that book is allowed in my hallowed halls

Joshua Nomen-Mutatio hallowed halls

!!!!ahahahaha!!!!

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick Black "it doesn't always work out as planned, but i try and divide my life bilaterally: the one half is a blur of lost days, days of adventure, dementia, drunkenness, travel, etc.; the other half is leaving the house as infrequently as possible and consists mostly of sitting in my office subsisting on a diet of massive amounts of coffee, books, music, dog-cuddling, masturbation, writing, and crap television/movies."

augh, self-identification is a bitch. and don't get me started on that frank sinatra review.

message 13: by William Thomas (new)

William Thomas during those 2 months of downtime, you should read all of Vachss' Burke novels.

message 14: by A.J. (new)

A.J. Howard Great review. Every time I see these books I get tricked into thinking Ringo wrote them though. I mean, admit it, it would be pretty awesome if Ringo wrote these.

message 15: by David (new)

David Happy???