Modern Girl's Reviews > Fugitive Denim: A Moving Story of People and Pants in the Borderless World of Global Trade

Fugitive Denim by Rachel Louise Snyder

May 07, 11

bookshelves: consumerism, ebook, economics, social-justice, environment, non-fiction
Read from January 06 to May 07, 2011

I'm really glad I read this book, but it really needs a bit of a tune up. The tone and style changed so drastically from chapter to chapter, and no clear thesis was ever actually presented. First you are in an exciting fair-trade, organic, denim designer's lair, then you're talking with Italians on lengthy tangents, next you're in the cotton fields, then you're finding out how they flame-proof jeans, then you go to Cambodia and stay for a long long time, then you're briefly in China and back again in New York. I'm glad all of it was in there, but I think it was in the wrong format. I think if the author had have kept these distinctly different "chunks" separate and had published this as "Five short stories about the denim industry" that would have been MUCH better. It would have allowed for such a change in tone and direction. Instead, each chapter came a new surprise. I thought it would all get tidied back together at the end. With the return to New York and the mentioning of all the informants again that helped. But again, if these distinct parts can not be pulled together for one story, they shouldn't have been. Some of that parts were great and exciting. Some were so terribly dry I did my very best to get through them. I'd read 60 well written pages within a day, and then take the next month to get through the next chapter. It definitely shows that the author can change her style, but I'm not sure if that's a compliment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fugitive Denim.