Torzilla's Reviews > Enclave

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Jan 16, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, arc, favorites, highly-recommended, reviewed
Read on January 15, 2011

I read this book in one sitting and was willing to stay up until 4AM (or later) to finish it. For the first time in YEARS, I felt like I was going to have a heart attack while reading a book. The words "this book is awesome-sauce" do not nearly give ENCLAVE enough justice; it was: "blow your mind holy freaking crap" SPECTACULAR, and that is coming from the girl who usually bashes, nitpicks, and DNFs most YAs.

Before I begin, I would like to give you all this warning: avoid reviews with any spoilers. This is one book that will get your heart pumping and, if you're anything like me, will get you 100% emotionally invested. I'm not joking when I said my heart was pounding the closer I got to the end of this story.

After waking up this morning (Jan 16th 2011), I logged onto Twitter and noticed some bloggers had begun discussing ENCLAVE. The second I saw this book's title on Twitter, a huge grin plastered itself to my face and I started giggling and squealing. Now this might not sound like a big deal, but let me tell you that, after reading 140+ books back in 2010, it takes a lot for me to recall character names. Most of the time, I'll even forget what the heroine's name is after going to bed. Not the case here. Even after sleeping, I still felt the same level of excitement and happiness upon reflection. (See? I'm not so jaded after all)

ENCLAVE is the story about Deuce, our heroine, who grew up underground. We follow her after she finally earns her name, becomes a Huntress, and meets Fade, the hero. Basically society is separated into different "clans" that contain Hunters (who protect, who hunt, and who kill Freaks), the Breeders (who, like their name suggests, breed brats), and the Builders (self explanatory). Nobody lives for very long in this society. For instance, their leader is in his 20's, and they consider him old enough.

The Freaks are like zombies. They've always been there, and they're the scavengers/gluttons of the underground world. They attack everything and anything that moves, and will eat each other if one dies. I actually felt terrified whenever Deuce/Fade went out and encountered these creatures, and I never feel terrified while reading a book.

Ever since Deuce could remember, the Freaks were mindless, blathering idiots that feared each enclave... but recently, they've been venturing closer and closer to the barracks. And I'm stopping there, because like I said, this is one story you need to read it without knowing anything.

The main characters will squirm their way into your heart without you realizing it, and by then it's too late--you'll be in love with them all. Sometimes, they will also earn your ire, and perhaps will even make you growl or scream out loud. Regardless of how you feel, kudos to Ann for making each and every character three-dimensional and appealing in his or her own unique way.

The romance in this story was also masterfully done. I wish I had Ann's skills at not only writing, but also weaving romance in so effortlessly. If you are looking for a love story first and foremost, you will not find it here. The adventure comes first and romance second, which, I think truly makes this novel that much more convincing. And, while I hate to say this (because I am a Deuce/Fade supporter all the way), I loved the way Ann kept everything open-ended by the novel's conclusion.

I actually have nothing to complain about in this book. The characters were solid, the world was intriguing, the romance had me sitting on the edge of my seat, and the descriptions were beautifully done. I think the only thing I was unhappy about was the book's ending. There was no cliffhanger, and it actually ended in a great spot, but because I was so invested, I never wanted the story to end! I groaned out loud, PRAYING that there would be a second book.

Unfortunately, OUTPOST (book #2 in this series) does not come out until Fall of 2012 (I kind of died inside when I first saw that on Ann's website). It's a long wait--especially after reading ENCLAVE a few months before its release, but I think it'll be worth it. I know I will be rereading ENCLAVE later in the year. Add Outpost to your "to read" list folks, because you're going to be salivating for the next book in this series.

ENCLAVE is a strong YA debut Ann should be proud of. This is a book I am gladly adding to my all-time favorites list, and it's one I've already begun suggesting to all searching for an engaging read. I think anyone craving for a dystopian--whether you're a regular reader, you've written dystopians off, or are just starting out with the genre--should read ENCLAVE. I highly suggest pre-ordering the hardcover copy of this book ASAP; it will be money (and time) well spent.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enclave.

01/15/2011 page 179
66.0% "Going to pull an all-nighter to finish this one!"

TheBookVixen OMG, I want to read this book NOW. At least the 2nd book comes out later this year and you won't have to wait til next year :)

Torzilla 2nd book comes out in Fall 2012!! Bad typo on my part :( :( :( :(

Seriously though, usually after I go to bed, my excitement for the book (if it was great) dies down. I feel like I never went to sleep! I'm still fan-girling and squealing and thinking about all the characters.

TheBookVixen Tori [Book Faery] wrote: "2nd book comes out in Fall 2012!! Bad typo on my part :("

message 4: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda I Love Aguirre, and I look forward to this book!!!
Awesome review!!!

Torzilla TheBookVixen wrote: "Tori [Book Faery] wrote: "2nd book comes out in Fall 2012!! Bad typo on my part :("

Oh man, you do have to wait over a year!!! Is there a cliffhanger ending in Enclave?"

No cliffys :)

Torzilla Rhonda wrote: "I Love Aguirre, and I look forward to this book!!!
Awesome review!!!"

TheBookVixen Tori [Book Faery] wrote: "I'm going to check out her other books soon. Do you have any suggestions on which I should get first??

Skin Game! It's under "Ava Gray". Reyes is hawt!

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre Wow, I love this thread.

Urban fantasy:
Blue Diablo
Hell Fire
Shady Lady (coming out in April)
Devil's Punch (coming out April 2012)
Bloody Maria (coming out April 2013)

Romantic SF:
Grimspace
Wanderlust
Doubleblind
Killbox
Aftermath (forthcoming in Sept)
Endgame (forthcoming in Sept 2012)

as Ava Gray (paranormal romance with light suspense. These are sexy.)
Skin Game
Skin Tight
Skin Heat
Primal (Skin & Bone novella in the antho coming in Feb)
Skin Dive (coming July)

as Ellen Connor (apocalyptic paranormal romance with Carrie Lofty. Also sexy.)
Nightfall (June)
Midnight (Sept)
Daybreak (Dec)

My adult books written under my own name may have some sexual references or content, but it's not smokin' like that under my pseudonyms. Hence the pen names. You should read whatever you like best out of my list.

message 9: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:17PM) (new)

Rhonda Tori [Book Faery] wrote: "Rhonda wrote: "I Love Aguirre, and I look forward to this book!!!
Awesome review!!!"

Thanks! I'm going to check out her other books soon. Do you have any suggestions on which I should get first??"

I actually read the Skin series under Ava Gray first, and loved them. I'm in the 3rd book in the Sirantha Jax series under Aguirre, and I love them!! I don't look forward to many YA books, but there's no way I would miss Enclave!!

TheBookVixen Ann wrote: "as Ellen Connor (apocalyptic paranormal romance with Carrie Lofty. Also sexy.)
Nightfall (June)
Midnight (Sept)
Daybreak (Dec) "

I can't wait for Nightfall!!! Those covers are smokin! I also need to catch up on the Skin series.

message 11: by Rhonda (last edited Jan 16, 2011 06:22PM) (new)

Rhonda I haven't read the Corrine Solomon series, but I suspect you won't go wrong with any of them!!! For an author to endear me to a bug, (Sirantha Jax) I'm on board for anything!!!!

Jax Characters are awesome!!!
Well so are the "Skin" characters, and the men are delicious!!!! I'm still swooning over Zeke!!!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre I recommend reading the first two UF books in March, as the third one comes out on April 5th, and it's the best one yet.

I love Jax, too. I'm working on revisions on AFTERMATH, which is the 5th book, right now. Lots and lots of Vel, there.

message 13: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Ann wrote: "I recommend reading the first two UF books in March, as the third one comes out on April 5th, and it's the best one yet.

I love Jax, too. I'm working on revisions on AFTERMATH, which is the 5th bo..."

Vel makes me happy!!! I'm reading Doubleblind, and there's big trouble right now, that's all I'm saying!!!

Torzilla OH GOSH!! Thanks Ann for providing a list of all your books! :) And I don't mind if there's sexy times/refs, LONG LIVE SEXY TIME!

I can def read the UFs in March; that actually might be better because I'll have lots of free time between my college classes this semester.

message 15: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre It's kind of insane how popular my sexy praying mantis has become. I have readers telling me they like him better than March now.

Torzilla Rhonda wrote: I don't look forward to many YA books, but there's no way I would miss Enclave!!

Ann's YA series is def on my auto-buy list :D I'm sure her other books will also be soon enough hehe

Torzilla A preying mantis?? o__o

So long as there aren't centipedes....

message 18: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Ann wrote: "It's kind of insane how popular my sexy praying mantis has become. I have readers telling me they like him better than March now."

Well, for me...I wouldn't say better. I love him differently, Ann I think you have a market for a Vel T-shirt of some sorts.
Seriously, I love March and Sirantha, I've never read any SF of any kind before, and may never again, unless it's yours, *shrugs* who knows!!! Again thanks for the many hours of enjoyment, and the ones to come!!!

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre Hm. No. But there are some other scary aliens.

message 20: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Tori [Book Faery] wrote: "A preying mantis?? o__o

So long as there aren't centipedes...."

You'll understand when you get there!!!

message 21: by Ann (new)

Ann Aguirre Rhonda wrote: "Ann wrote: "It's kind of insane how popular my sexy praying mantis has become. I have readers telling me they like him better than March now."

Well, for me...I wouldn't say better. I love him diff..."

It was fun chatting, ladies. Have a great night!

Torzilla Ann wrote: "Hm. No. But there are some other scary aliens."

Aliens, I can deal with. Centipedes, I cannot.