Christopher Farnsworth's Reviews > Zombie Spaceship Wasteland

Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt

Jan 06, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This isn't just a collection of Oswalt's stand-up routines, or the bits left on the wayside. Instead, we get a look at some of the things that made him, as well as jokes that would only work on the page. And it's really fascinating as well as funny, not to mention skillfully written. Anyone who's seen or heard his routines knows he's got a gift for imagery and language, but here he puts it to work in prose that's often painful, funny, and heartbreaking within the space of a few sentences. From "Take a bow, you coke-soaked ogre" to "The coffee tasted like pants" to "If the victories we create in our heads were let loose on reality, the world we know would drown in blazing happiness." Oswalt can reference The Road Warrior and Beckett and tie them together convincingly. I winced at the mental images in "Hobo Songs" and felt pangs of nostalgia when he described working in a three-screen movie theater. Reading it was like listening to a song I'd never heard and realizing somehow I knew it by heart. With dick jokes. So there's something for everyone in there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombie Spaceship Wasteland.