Austin James's Reviews > Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt

Christ the Lord by Anne Rice

Jan 25, 2011

bookshelves: religious
Read in December, 2010

[I'd like to preface this review by saying I'm not a religious person. I have no religious agenda, but am always interested in the study and understanding of all religions.]

That said, I did want to read a book about Christmas and Anne Rice is one of my favorite writers so I decided to read Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt. To be honest, I hadn't heard good things about her "Christian" books. I was told they are boring, full of religious dribble, and lacked the spiritual debate of her previous novels. After reading this book, I disagree with this 100%.

I think a lot of people were disappointed with these books because they weren't what they expected. While it is true that this book isn't like her previous novels, this book was anything but a typical religious story. For one thing, the story is told from the point of view of a young Jesus. This gives an old story a surprisingly fresh new angle. It's funny how most people know the story of Christmas, but have never considered it from the point of view of the main character, Jesus.

I don't necessarily believe (or disbelieve) religious claims made in the book. But this story was interesting to me because of the details. If you are the type of person who is not interested in history, you probably won't like the story. But if you are like me, you will find this piece of work will enrich your understanding of what life was like for the Jewish people during this tumultuous time in a world controlled by Rome.

To say that this book is boring would be crazy. It's set in a world where soldiers can crucify someone for simply being in the wrong place and a world where your religion can get you killed. It is a story of a young boy with a power he does not understand and secrets which are kept from him. That makes for a great book right there.

I'd give the book 8 out of 10 (10 being great). If you like Anne Rice's other work and haven't read this, then I would encourage you to give it a try. It's different, but not in a bad way.

Originally reviewed on my blog at http://www.AustinJamesHere.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Christ the Lord.