Kristen's Reviews > The Curious Garden

The Curious Garden by Peter  Brown

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: children, books-i-want-to-own
Read from January 06 to 31, 2011

I picked up The Curious Garden from the library, which came recommended by the nature moms blog I read. When reading I couldn't help but think wow, this sounds just like the High Line Park in Manhattan (that I have yet to see but hear about from friends and family) and low and behold it is based in part on that park! A fairly new park, it uses the old elevated High Line train-tracks, built in 1930 and unused since the 1980s, to create a beautiful garden and public space.

Author Pete Brown notes in his afterword, this lovely picture-book was inspired by the High Line, and by other urban garden and wildlife projects. Liam wanders the gray streets of his city, when he discovers a way up onto the raised train-tracks near his home, and finds a small, struggling garden, all he knows is that he wants to help it grow. That begins a gardening project that takes on a life of its own and a garden that transforms the city.

The illustrations offer a magical view of the cityscape. The connection of "real" life added to my appreciation of this book, I love works based on real life and history with a bit of magic sprinkled in. This is a book I would like to own for my kids (and for myself).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Curious Garden.