Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > The Duke and I

The Duke and I by Julia Quinn

Feb 07, 12

bookshelves: author-julia-quinn, books-i-go-rabid-over, ebooks, covers-to-covet, drinks-on-me, favorites, first-book-in-series, genre-historical-romance, king-of-the-harem, my-hottie-harem, read-in-2011, keep-a-spare-pair-of-knickers, the-hymen-club, series-bridgetons
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Sann, Saskia
Recommended for: Historical Romance fans
Read from July 27 to 28, 2011, read count: 1

Posted on Under the Covers

I have been ruined by Lisa Kleypas and all her wonderful historical that until now, I couldn’t find an author who could live up to the Kleypas craze. Julia Quinn is the answer.

THE DUKE AND I is such a charming story of Daphne and Simon! The story captured me with its prologue. It starts off with a story of a vulnerable young boy and his prideful father who wished to have the perfect heir. When he learns that his son has a speech impediment, he deems him as defective and unworthy to love, shunning him from his life and love. The boy grows up, wondering what he has done to make his father hate him so much, harbouring an anger towards him that grows with each year.

Years later, Simon Basset has learned to overcome his stutter and is now the Duke of Hastings, making him a sought-after bachelor. Simon is such a great hero. I loved him from the moment he stepped on the page. There’s just something about him that lures you in. He has secrets that make you want to keep reading until they are revealed. And, not to mention, he’s quite the seducer as well.

I don’t blame Daphne for falling so hard for him. Daphne is the eldest daughter of the Bridgeton family, making her a prime target for her brother’s overprotective tendencies. But Daphne is a strong woman and is able to handle situations on her own. I loved the strength that she showed throughout this book. There is nothing better than a strong heroine who isn’t afraid to stand up to her man (and her brothers).

What I love about historical romance is the lightness and charming nature of the stories. I found it very difficult to find another author who possessed that effortless wit that Lisa has in her writing, but after reading this I found that Quinn is just as capable of doing this. She manages to weave stories that are full of heart and passion but still making it light-hearted and fun.

I loved the idle banter between the Bridgeton siblings! They are such a fantastic family and I can’t wait to read the next few books of this series. I have no doubt that the Bridgeton will charm me completely. I am so glad I picked this series up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duke and I.

07/27/2011 page 100
27.0% "I think I found my new obsession!" 6 comments

Comments (showing 1-31)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 31: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Simon was adorable. I love him! :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Me too! Dont you find it weird that Simon Hunt and Simon Basset are the first books in their series?

message 29: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I didn't notice until now, but that IS ironic! LOL. And, I think I loved Simon more because of his stutter. I don't know about you, but it made him so much more attractive because he wasn't perfect and had something about himself that he hated. Plus, he tried so hard to get over it.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know. i really liked that.

I found that Simon and Anthony each had their own thing to get over. I really liked that about them. The book wasnt just about their romance, but also about themselves as characters. Anddddddd, that made the romance that much stronger, IMO.

message 27: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I completely agree with you. And Colin has something like that to get over, too, in his book. I think that there is something in all the books that make the characters more real.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I'm only 20 pages into their book but Penelope is pretty hilarious! I never realized how sarcastic she was!

message 25: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Right?! Because no one actually TALKED to her except Eloise, so no one knew! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) She's awesome. Love love loverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrsssss her!

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Me tooooooo!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Now I cant choose. Because I really liked Kate too!

message 21: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Kate is my third favorite. I love her.

message 19: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, third. LOL. Penelope is first, then Hyacinth, then Kate.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hyacinth? Cool, cant wait to read hers!

message 17: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I seem to be one of the few people who really loved that book, so I'm curious to see what you think. It's my second favorite of the series.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I need to get the next few books. i dont have them and I want them for my shelves.

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I have them all. I lovers them. But, I always wondered why Benedict and Sophie's book cover wasn't the same style as all the others.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know. Sophie doesnt even lose a show in the book!

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I know! It's a glove! LOL

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Idiots. Didn't read the books.

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) LOL someone should've told them,

Leah Clearly. Silly people!

_yay_ Will read this review as soon as mine is finished...not before though haha.

_yay_ Hah! We both loved the prologue :-) My review is now up, too.

~J~ Riverina Romantics I haven't read anything by Julia, but she is on my list. Will have to bump her up.

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Oh she's great Jodie!! I love her! I hope you do read her stuff. This series is one of my fave historicals.

Ronyell Awesome review Annie!! I really loved this book too and I can't wait to pick up the other Bridgerton books!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I loooove this series! It's so good! Enjoy!

Ronyell Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) wrote: "I loooove this series! It's so good! Enjoy!"

Thanks!!! I'm definitely picking up the second book!