Jason's Reviews > Under the Dome

Dec 08, 11

bookshelves: devil-made-me, 2011, reviewed
Recommended to Jason by: Danielle
Read in March, 2011

I’m not sure how to feel about Under the Dome. In one sense, the concept of an entire town being suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world and the social, political, and even meteorological struggles that ensue is highly fascinating. But at the same time, King has really let me down with this cast of dull, one-dimensional, and highly stereotypical characters. It seems in this novel you are either a hateful, fear-mongering, murderous megalomaniac or you are a gentle, respectful, selfless individual with a limitless background of useful talents. There is little in between. In one case, a character is a blatant clone of the Trash Can Man from The Stand, complete with being the cause of a widespread disaster. Not very original. The interactions of these characters often seems forced and unnatural, and the dialogue, at times, horrendous. But still, the premise of the novel kept me going and the idea that one can be so completely isolated from functional society and the disasters which could result from this isolation became a truly terrifying prospect, especially as the story progressed.

In the end, I would have to say that what I like about this novel outweighs the negative, especially with some touching scenes at the novel’s conclusion where it becomes crushingly apparent how different a situation could be from one location to another, even if those locations are just inches apart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Dome.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Simone But at the same time, King has really let me down with this cast of dull, one-dimensional, and highly stereotypical characters.

AGREED

Tricia Harding-smith I agree, even got to the point where I didn't really care who survived but, bizzarely, I enjoyed the story and could see it being a half decent film but please, Mr King, no cameos! Hitchcock did it with panache but Hitchcock you ain't!

Scott Wieczorek I read this and figured it would be easily workable into a mini-series made for tv (excluding certain scenes, of course). Also, I agree that the characters seemed a bit recycled...

Jason There were a bunch of miniseries made in a row, I remember, back in the 90s: The Tommyknockers, The Stand, The Langoliers. But then they stopped.

Jason Oh, looks like Under the Dome will be a mini-series on CBS. You called it!

Mike a perfect review... completely summed up my feelings about this book. except I came to the conclusion that the bad outweighed the good...the premise kept me going but ultimately unfulfilled... thanks for a great review

Jason Thanks, Mike!

David Barnett Well, the truth about life: you have cold pricklies and warm fuzzies. It is just the way of life. I thought it was great, if a little weird.

Jason Glad you liked it, Dave.

message 10: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan I think you are exaggerating a bit. The characters are that way for a reason. It's pretty realistic because there's such thing as insanity in the world.

Jason The characters are stock for a reason? That seems like a breezy proclamation. I'm glad you found it "realistic."

message 12: by I. (new)

I. Laurie That's pretty much what I thought too.

Justice Jason... i like you. Awesome views. I'm actually really excited to start this book once i finish the book i'm currently on.

Jason Thanks, Justice. I hope you enjoy it a little more than I did.

message 15: by B (new) - rated it 4 stars

B Janie I definately agree with you. I think Mr King could have done a lot more with this book. It would have been interesting to expand a little on the meteorological aspects of the dome and not so much on some of the characters of the book. I don't know. I think it was a little "hokey". I started getting bored about half way through the book and was not impressed with the ending.

Jason Characters are usually my favorite thing in stories and I thought the characters in this novel were pretty weak.

Thanks for your comment, B.

Justice B how long did it take you to read? I hate when that happens too, when you're halfway through it and it goes from intriguing to boring at the blink of an eye. Was it like dragging? Because i can't quit on a book once it's started.

Robin I didn't think all the characters were one dimensional...sure the 'baddies' and the 'goodies' were either bad or good, but Chef and Andy, the Priest, Thurston and a few others had some great depth.

On the whole I really liked this book, and the final third, from the 'Blood Everywhere' chapter through to the end was superbly paced...I cleared a Sunday afternoon to read that section in one go and was thankful that I did.

Jason Glad you liked it, Robin.

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Sadly this is one I could not finish. Got over 300 pages in watched the tv series and could have screamed. I read wiki to see what happened and I am so glad I spent my time on other books.
I loved The Stand but I find King very hit and miss. I have 11/22/63 on my book case to read this year so not given up on him as an author.
Thank you for your review it was very honest.

Jason Thanks, Tracey! I hope you like 11/22/63.