Ariana's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: great-books, favorites, adventure, magic, series, aussie-and-nz, once-upon-a-time, beloved, rereading-material, best-of, male-approved
Read from March 16 to 17, 2011

Wonderful, amazing, beautiful, absolutely brilliant... I need more stars! ★★★★★★★★★★

"Because without our language, we have lost ourselves. Who are we without our words?"

This was such a powerful story that got straight to my heart. After finishing it I was left speechless - Melina Marchetta has this effect on people. The characters are so well defined, the story is so complex... All that I've felt while reading Jellicoe Road I felt again while reading this book, and these 2 stories are nothing alike.

What I liked
It is hard to tell because there are so many things on this list, I would never finish - I liked the storyline, the characters, their evolution, the description, the twists in the story, and the ending (that precious ending - it was perfect). To keep it short: it was an emotional roller-coaster and it felt so good.

What I liked, but it was not really to like
The world described in this story - all that suffering of the people in exile and the ones trapped in the kingdom - it was heartbreaking. It hurt to know what happened (during those "5 days of the unspeakable" and after that), it was absolutely cruel, (view spoiler)

What I didn't like
Scratch this ... what was not to like?

Judging by the other books from this author I had one fear - I thought that the beginning was supposed to be slow, but that was not the case.. I found it rather interesting and full of events from the very first page and this was a very pleasant surprise. This is definitely one of my favorite books and I can't wait for the sequel (even though it was so beautiful and perfect that I didn't feel the need to see what happens next )

Characters & favorite quotes:

- Finnikin
I am starting with him because he is the main character and the reason for all 416 pages of "the story, as told to those not born to see such days, recorded in the book of Lumatere so they will never forget."

Balthazar pledged to die defending his royal house of Lumatere. Finnikin swore to be their protector and guide for as long as he lived. Lucian vowed he would be the light whom they traveled toward in times of need.

- Evanjalin
A young novice that in the beginning does not tell as much, but as the story unfolds there are no words enough to express all that she holds inside, all that she had lived in those 10 years since the "five days of the unspeakable". Also she is the best female character I've read about in a while.

- "It takes great character to handle Evanjalin and Froi," Finnikin went on. "You would have much to fear."
- "What is the worst that can happen?" Aldron scoffed.
- "She could have you imprisoned in the mines. Or sell you to the slave traders of Sorel," Finnikin said with a shrug.

- Sir Topher
Let's accept our path, Finnikin, and hold our tongue, as the novice does so beautifully.

- Froi
Looking back, I didn't know what to make of him in the first book, but just wait for the next ones, there's so much to him that doesn't meet the eye.
"You never do anything stupid like that again," she whispered with fury. "You could have been killed, you idiot boy. It's part of your bond that I give instructions, not you."
Froi mumbled, and Perri leaned closer to listen. "That's very rude, Froi. And quite impossible for her to do with a bond."

- Trevanion
"Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw. "I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lead them west."
"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?"

------------

My favorite moment in the book:
(view spoiler)

This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com

____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Later Edit:
Re-read in May 2013
I might write soon a new review for the series, as it blew my mind once more and I still love it to pieces. Just know that this is a heartbreaking story that I will always hold close to my heart. Absolutely fabulous!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes Ariana Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”

Melina Marchetta
“Sir Topher finally looked up. “Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
"Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing.”
tags: hope

Melina Marchetta
“Balthazar pledged to die defending his royal house of Lumuatere. Finnikin swore to be their protector and guide for as long as he lived. Lucian vowed he would be the light whom they traveled toward in times of need.”

Melina Marchetta
“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."

She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.

There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"

Isaboe gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.

She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”

Melina Marchetta
“Tell me about the farm," she pleaded as drops of blood began to appear on her hand.
"The farm?"
"The farm that Finnikin the peasant would have lived on with his bride."
"Evanjalin. That was her name. Did I mention that?"
She laughed through a sob. "No, you didn't."
"They would plant rows upon rows of wheat and barley, and each night they would sit under the stars to admire what they owned. Oh, and they would argue. She believes the money made would be better spent on a horse, and he believes they need a new barn. But then later they would forget all their anger and he would hold her fiercely and never let her go."
"And he'd place marigolds in her hair?" she asked.
He clasped her hands against his and watched her blood seep through the lines of his skin. "And he would love her until the day he died," he said.”

Melina Marchetta
“Do you think you should warn him (the guard) that I'm going to kiss you?"
He loved the flush that appeared on her face, and there was an intake of breath from the girls.
"Aldron," she said clearing her throat,"if he agrees to become king, I'm going to let him kiss me. Please don't stop him."
Aldron thought for a moment and sighed, holding up his hand. "Wait there and do not move," he ordered Finnikin, before calling out to one of the other guards who stood on the platform. "Ask Perri if he's allowed to touch her if he's agreed to be king.”

Melina Marchetta
“Finn, listen!" Trevanion said, his voice raw."I prayed to see you one more time. It's all I prayed for. Nothing more. And my prayers were answered. Go east, I'll lend them west."

"We have a dilemma, then," Finnikin said fiercely. "Because I prayed that you would grow old and hold my children in your arms as you held me. My prayers have not been answered yet, Trevanion. So whose prayer is more worthy? Yours or mine?”

Melina Marchetta
“There are worse things than a lie and there are better things than the truth!”

Melina Marchetta
“Because without our language, we have lost ourselves. Who are we without our words?”

03/16/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arlene *sigh* You make me want to read this all over again. Your last two quotes were perfection! I loved those too! Glad you enjoyed this gem. It was full of awesomeness. :)

Ariana Thanks.. I think I'll read it again too when the sequel comes out. I didn't realize until today that this was supposed to be a series ;))

message 3: by Miss (new) - added it

Miss I have this on my TBR.... moving it up :)

Ariana It's amazing and I loved it to pieces.
I really hope that you will enjoy it as much as I did. :)

Jenny starting to love this as well.. I'm reading it now.. :)

Ariana Jenny wrote: "starting to love this as well.. I'm reading it now.. :)"

This is different from all the other Marchetta books (so much darker every time), but it only gets better and better in my opinion.
I loved it so much I can only hope for you to do the same! Enjoy it!