Susie's Reviews > Dispatches from the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters, and Survival

Dispatches from the Edge by Anderson Cooper

Jan 14, 11

I have the utmost respect for this guy. Highly informed, willing to dispatch news at the worst places and participant of his own family publicized tragedy. That being said, listening to Anderson's memoir is depressing, and.....interesting, in a "I just read a juicy US Magazine article" kind of way. As a young reporter, just out of college, Cooper goes to these terrible war-zone places, completely on his own and reports with a hand-held camera, just to get a job from one of the major news channels, with no back-up idea or what he is getting into. It's almost laughable what he has done to himself. He's running into areas of genocide, hooking up with local armed help just to keep himself alive.

He describes some of the most harrowing assignments in Africa and Afghanistan, and the atrocities he sees there, all in some way, to get away from his own personal tragedy...being his father's death and his brother's suicide. In some way, he needs to feel adrenaline, an edge or any emotion at all to feel connected to the world. The end of his book's narrative deals with his assignment in New Orleans, in the aftermath of Katrina. This narrative alone makes it worth reading the book. His views of the aftermath, his insights and the emotion of it all. It's all rather heartbreaking.

I listened to this by book by audiobook, and maybe it was Anderson's fast reading or the writing itself, but the whole thing felt a little disjointed. Like he was in a hurry to get it done. It skips around a bit and I felt it could have used more threads to pull the whole thing together.

Still doesn't delineate the fact that I would love to have a beer with this guy.......

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dispatches from the Edge.

01/06/2011 page 82
37.0% "Ok....so I have a crush on Anderson Cooper. Probably anything he says would sound good to me. I would pay money to be able to have a beer with him and have 30 minutes of his time."